Help Identifying Replacement Shower/Tub Fittings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjowers

Reaction score
IMG_20180916_1438105.jpg IMG_20180916_1438017.jpg I'm remodeling my bathroom and no fittings I can find at local stores fit my shower handles or tub faucet. I'd appreciate any help identifying the make/model, or a direction where I could start looking for answers.

The bathroom was constructed probably 30+ years ago. I just remodeled and cant find the old fittings. The hot and cold valve stems are separate and end approx. 3" from where the piping T's in the wall, and 2" from the tiled wall. The fitting the stems seat in have exterior thread 1-1/4" diameter approx. 1-1/2" from the wall. The valve stem has a gear-like end, and the actual valve stem part that turns is 7/8" long.

I've tried the available Gerber and Pfister replacement handles but neither seat the valve stem. I found some universal handles that work (but ugly and not perfect), but cannot find any flanges to create a watertight seal behind the handles. What the stores have is not wide enough to pass the 1-1/4" stem. Any insight on what type of stems these are-and what handles and flanges I need to buy? I've attached photos.

Also, I'm having trouble finding a tub spout that is the right depth. The pipe for the spout extends slightly less than 1" from the wall, and is 1/2-inch threaded steel. I tried removing the pipe to replace with something longer to fit a standard 3-7/8" depth spout, but the pipe appears welded in. (When i tried turning with my wrench the pipe began to bend and cave. I stopped before irreparable damage was done.) Is there a spout that can easily fit, or do I need to just add couplers and pipe to extend?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m guessing that this is an old two handle valve unit, with the diverted/blocker for the shower built into the tub spout.

It appears that you have built out the wall enough that the valves, and the spout connectionless have less clearance behind them.

The style was pretty universal, and just about all manufacturers made them, prior to the requirement for positive temp control. Some like yours had the escutcheon screw onto the outside, which is what yours looks like, Pfister did it that way. Others screwed onto a threaded sleeve which screwed into the center of the valve, with the stem coming through it.

You will probably need to turn off the water, and pull out the stem, and go shopping with it in hand. You should measure how far out the valve extends out of the wall.

A good supply house will probably be able to set you up. And HomeDesperate, Lowers, and Ace all may have a kit that will work.

I will throw another wrench in......looks like an older symmons(made in Braintree ma)that nut with the 2 flat sides is a packing nut I think the tile guy buried what covers the stem....send this pic to them it looks like a (visi temp)model....give them a call they are very knowledgeable they still make parts and trim kits if that's what it is...

Back