Help identifying mystery pipes in basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w999w

Reaction score
Hello all,

Before having these pipes scoped by a plumber, I wanted to get some thoughts from folks on some mystery pipes in the basement of the 1970s house we recently purchased. My initial thought is they were included when the house was built so that a bathroom could be added, but what is confusing is they are not connected to the main sewer line. The main sewer line runs along the upper wall of the basement. The connections shown in the photos, including the vent stack, are below that line and independent of that system. We pulled the plans for the original septic system from the Dept. of Health and it shows just one septic tank, which the main sewer line is connected to. So I'm a little baffled as to what these pipes are connected to. The concern has taken on a bit more urgency as the drain pipe (the one covered in black rubber and a hose clamp) is full of water and recently began dripping. Could it be that these were rough plumbed to the exterior of the house with the idea that they might be tied into the main system at some point in the future?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Back