HELP? flushed spoon down toilet!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargey

Reaction score
We accidentally flushed a metal spoon down the toilet.(see photo) I've fished around a bit, but it appears to be "gone"!
Is there any way to possibly retrieve now?
Where is it likely to be? stuck somewhere or gone through?
If stuck, will it cause problems?

IMG_7268.jpeg

To Breblum's point, our granddaughter flushed a toothbrush (similar size to the spoon). Our son could not get it from the top. He had a plumber come and once he pulled the toilet up it was retrievable in the trapway.

I had to take a toilet up last week to get the object out.

It was 1/2 a plastic Barbie bed. Hard plastic. I removed the toilet and ran a closet auger backwards through the outlet and pushed it back out into the bowl.

$350 later their toilet flushes great. ✌️

Maybe you will be lucky and the spoon is stuck at the top of the trap. Look at the side of the fixture for a visual aid.

Try taking a plastic clothes hanger and cutting it like the drawing. (Keep the part in red to be a hook.) Fish around and hopefully you will catch the spoon and be able to use the hook to set it free to fall into the bowl. Use plastic so it won't scratch the bowl and it will flex and return to shape as you poke around.

When I was younger, we used to have to go to restaurants and get ink pens out of employee women's rest rooms. They'd have a pen in the vee of the uniform top, bend over to flush and the pen would fall in the bowl and get flushed. I used the coat hanger hook trick many times until I got smart and bought a closet auger.

I hope you get the spoon out easily!
Paul

Attachments

• Hook.pdf
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
Back