HELP! Confused -Slot Sink Drain - Broken drain pipe... Ideas to Fix?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom

Reaction score
I have a slot sink drain, cannot access drain from the top, the pan/box is enclosed. Any ideas on how to fix?

Top of Sink
1695451713985.png

It looks like the drain pipe was installed before the box below was constructed, but the flange disconnected from the rest of the drain pipe(that is missing) leaving no way to tighten a rubber gasket. This is a used/returned vanity that I picked up and it looks like someone tried to unsuccessfully use silicone at some point.

Drain hole from under sink, cannot access from the top
1695451824070.png

Came up with this, basically sandwich the following below with some industrial strength adhesive? (needs to be thicker to seal properly @ the bottom)
1695451999922.png

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
That board above is PVC Exterior trim.

Another option is a 1.5 pvc pipe almost fits in the hole, i could sand it down so it fits in the hole, using adhesive and silicone, and then connect to the 1 1/4 using this.

1695452561991.png

I understand both of these are hack job options, might work but for how long. Any way to properly repair?

Is this a manufactured sink? If so, they should include the matching drain hardware. If this was a backyard designer, then, maybe they should be the ones to ask how to install a drain line without continual leaks.

Not knocking the style, but to me it seems something else should have been added to accommodate a proper drain installation.

I bought it on Amazon used for $150, it is discontinued in 2020. I called Silk Road and they said they are just the distributors, I asked if I can talk to the manufacturer and they said it was somewhere in China. Argh I should have known by the brand name.

Here it is
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Silkroad-E...athroom-Vanity-with-Travertine-Top/1000792402
I'm pretty much stuck with it and need to make it work @ this point

You'll get it to work. Just to confirm, this sink does not have any overflow holes at the top of the rim?

No overflow, and the drain box is completely sealed

What is the diameter of the hole under the sink? Could you prime and glue a tailpiece into it, once the surface is cleaned?

My battery is out on my digital caliper, but the diameter to the hole seems to be just under 1-7/8th. I put a larger tailpiece next to the caliper for comparison. The outside point of the threads almost fit in the hole perfectly but that is the threaded part. The other end is really loose in there.
1695488072136.png

Last edited:
The more I'm thinking about it, cleaning/priming and glueing something in there is prob going to be the longest lasting. But getting something that diameter that fits snug. Need something with an outer diameter of just under 1-7/8th. Which is what 1.5PVC is so maybe sanding the 1.5 pvc to fit is the best option?

Last edited:
Read that caliper incorrectly, it is just under 1 7/8th for the diameter of the hole

I've encountered those dastardly slot sinks. Nightmare if they clog...because of that future clog issue, make sure you can access from underneath in the future by using some connection (after you silicone that cute PVC square drain you rigged) that makes it easy to get back into the drain from below.

Ended up not using that square thing and used a grinder and some backwoods engineering drill thing, worked pretty well! Was able to grind off enough of the 1.5PVC to fit tightly inside the hole.

1695494176279.png

Cut slits in the other end of the pipe, fit right over my drill. Spinning the drill when the grinder is on.. Yeah, I know it is for metal but it worked :)
1695494205483.png

Adhesive/Glue used:
1695494263304.png

That's cool that you were able to fix this rather than throw it in the landfill. I'm trying to fix stuff rather than throw it away these days so I'm glad to see others doing the same. I know sometimes we have to throw away stuff but for very simple things, it's better to repair and you can fix it your way with materials you chose rather than the factory that rushed it the first time. That said, I think I would have chose a two part epoxy or construction epoxy. My assumption is that those will last longer than adhesives that are not two part.

I like your Hole Saw-Becomes- A-Lathe set up. That's very creative of you!
Paul
PS: In crafts & stuff repair, my wife & I have found that E-6000 and PVC yields a very strong, heat resistant & reasonably flexible bond. (Bonds glass tenaciously, too.)

Back