Hello from St Louis. Having a problem with a disposal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very perplexing problem! So here are the only thinks I can think of.

When you pulled the garbage disposal, did you remove the black disposal elbow from the disposal? If not, check that connection. There possibly could be something like chicken skin, like MrInfoPhilly said, that is acting like a flapper valve when it is installed in the exact position in the sink.

And as this just started, I doubt this is the problem, but mark the position of the black disposal elbow where it goes into the P-trap and assemble it with the P-trap out from under the sink. Those disposal elbows are to be cut to size, and perhaps it is sticking down too far into the P-trap restricting flow. Even if it is, it shouldn't cause an immediate backup that takes minutes or hours to drain, but perhaps something funny is going on with that assembly.

And as TomFOhio asked, can you see into the wall if there is an elbow or a tee. The issue he is asking about is probably a venting issue. Again, I can't believe a clogged vent on this drain would cause this issue, but perhaps that is a possibility. Water from a hose under pressure with an air gar around the hose is a lot different than a gravity drain hard piped to the drain line. I would agree with you that the water flowing easily down the drain with a hose with no issues would rule out a clog more than 25 feet, so that would be my last step after verifying every other possibility.

Good luck.

Had a similar problem in a 2nd floor condo unit I owned. I didn't want to hire a plumber to snake the line, since once it got past the sheetrock, it was the condominium's drain line.

If my plumber damaged anything ...and I've seen them snap a Snake and leave the broken end in the drain line... Repair would be on me and my plumber.

So..They called in their plumber who found blockage about 40-50 feet down. Finally, one of the old heads in the Condo council remembered that they'd forgotten to have the every 6 month cleaning/reaming of the main drain line(s) and vents.

Check around, bet you learn downstairs neighbors most probably have same problem. Any downstream clog is the Condominium's problem!

Back