hair clog in bathroom tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humbolt

Reaction score
Hi all....you are all so very helpful. My bathroom tub has a clog which I believe is caused by hair. My snake can't get past a 90 degree turn of the tub drain pipe that goes to the pipe that goes to the sewer. So my snake cannot reach the clog. Anyone have any solution as to how I can DYI the hair clog? I have tried baking soda and vinegar and hot water...no results. Your thoughts and solutions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You need s drain cleaner specifically for hair. Something with Enzymes in it.

Hi SHEPLMBR. Thanks for your reply. Do you know the brand name of any drain cleaner specifically for hair? Will the enzymes be strong enough to disolve that hair? I do not want to use a product like CLEAN SHOUT DRAIN OPENER which is a fast acting sulfuric acid product. I have tried a product called ZEP Drain Defense which contains bacteria and enzymes with no luck. Thanks again.

Thanks again SHEPLMBR. I will follow your recommendations and again do not want to cause harm to my PVC pipes. Looking forward to more replies from the members of this great site. I will see if Lowes or Home Depot have these products.

My recommendation is if you can't get through that 90 degree ell then your best bet is to call a
good drain cleaning company and bite the bullet and have them snake it out. I personally never
had much luck with drain cleaning products. But, I never used the Glug so I don't know anything
about that. Some drain cleaners have to have the drain partially opened to work correctly.

Thanks guys for your assistance. Upon further looking at the plumbing, there is not a 90 degree turn for my snake to navigate. The snake can go down the drain pipe and hits the P-Trap. However, and for the life of me, I cannot get the snake past the P-Trap. I have tried and tried. I am thinking of a drain cleaner but there are no good recommendations for that solution. I will keep trying and I might get lucky. All of my other drains drain very well. Perhaps I might very well "bite the bullet".

Any other suggestions or recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks again.

Instanr Power Hair Clog Remover. Will work if clog in p trap. I have long wavy hair and this has never failed me. May take a few times if really bad

BSH. Nice to be able to see in the trap but on most plugged up drains the trap is clear. It seems that its always
down the line some where further. I wish when a drain was plugged that it was in the trap but not to often.

BSH. Nice to be able to see in the trap but on most plugged up drains the trap is clear. It seems that its always
down the line some where further. I wish when a drain was plugged that it was in the trap but not to often.
or hung up on metal in the drain if using an old style waste and overflow. That would be before the trap

Hi and thanks for your comments. I am thinking of using a drain cleaner and you have given me several suggestions. Any thoughts on your favorite and safest drain cleaner besides the ones already suggested? I am having no luck getting my snake into the P-Trap. Thanks

Back