Going from 1" to 3/4" back to 1"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanenk

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to put in a pressure reducer and water softener.

The main line in the crawlspace is 1" copper. My plan was to cut into the 1", reduce to a 3/4" pex, install the pressure reducer, run 3/4" pex (~35') to the water softener, return run 3/4' pex (~35') and upsize back to the 1" copper.

My question is: Will there be any issue when I upsize from the 3/4" back to the 1" pipe?

Appreciate your help!

Keep everything 1". By decreasing the pipe size you will decrease the volume. You will simply have 3/4" volume in a 1" piping system and volume drops could occur while using multiple fixtures.

When going from copper to PEX, I tend to go in the other direction, making the PEX bigger than the copper, since not only is the inside diameter of the PEX smaller than the copper, but the fittings for the PEX go inside of the pipe, reducing the ID of the system even more.

I do the same. The difference in inside diameter is why I like expansion fittings for pex over crimp. A 1/2" crimp fitting is 3/8. At least expansion systems let you keep the same inside diameter or the pipe.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Frodo, per your signature- I live in Arkansas. Is it permissible to use CPVC in this case? IIRC, it is permissible as long as it is residential, above concrete, and not a multi-family building.

Latest posts

Back