Ghost Flushing Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosayweall

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Forgive me if this is an obvious answer, but I'm a first time home owner and sort of at a loss here.

My toilet has recently started ghost flushing when it is not used over the course of numerous hours. I can hear a slight trickle into the toilet bowl between uses, which leads me to believe that the flapper needs to be replaced.

My question is this . . . I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and won't return for well over a week. Can the toilet overflow in that time, or is that impossible? My fear is that the toilet will continue to "ghost flush" in my absence and that the water in the bowl will continue to build up with no one around to actually flush it away. I have no problem replacing the flapper to see if this is the fix once I return, but in the meantime I'd appreciate some peace of mind.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
What if I do not turn the valve off? I just want to know if overflow is a possibility, or if it will empty into the waste drain at a certain level.

Back