General Speedrooter 92 & Drain Rooter PH

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C35p

Reaction score
I've been thinking about starting my own drain cleaning business in the near future and just came across a deal for General Speedrooter 92 complete with 100' cable and blades for roots and grease of, Drain-Rooter PH and a mini jetter for $3,800 Cdn, considering the Speedrooter alone is approximately $2,500 Cdn I'm thinking that is a fairly good deal. The guy claims they have never been used therefore I assume they are brand new however would obviously check the condition prior to purchase. I would just like some reviews from guys that own or have used the General machines, as all of my experience has been on Ridgid and Duracable machines. Another question I have is how easily is the Speedrooter to handle as a one man outfit? The Duracable is a sled machine that can have the drum easily removed, is this a feature that would be available with the Speedrooter 92? I know it has the stair climbers but all of my work is in basements and some of the older houses can have some pretty narrow steep stairs, just wondering how it would handle in those situations.

I should add most of my work would be in lines 40'-75' long with minor to moderate root intrusion, grease and or baby wipes/hygine products,in 3"-4" mains, according to the General website this machine should be able to handle 90-95%.

All your input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

We use the speed rooter 92 a lot.

Great machine, I love how you have total control over the speed. Unfortunately it's not great for one man operation. It's a very heavy unit. We always send two guys to lift it. I never tried the stair tracks because the unit is so heavy, it would likely do damage anyway.

Awesome thanks for your review, yes that is kind of what I was expecting. Is the drum easily removed? The sled type Duracable I use has a very easily removable drum and we carry the machine and drum separately this reducing the weight load, wondering if the same could be done with the Speedrooter?

It's not something I have done other than for changing the cable. It seems a little too extensive to do on the job site in my opinion.

And to be honest, most of the weight comes from the drum/cable. I don't think you are saving much stripping it down.

Ok right on thanks, maybe I'll pass on this one and wait for a different opportunity even though this seems like a great deal but like I said as a future one man shop the weight of the equipment wouldbbe a consideration as I have no one that could help me out at least nit starting out. Maybe I'll start considering sectionals although I've never used one and a little hesitant.

All I run are Ridgid sectionals. I keep a K60 on my truck with 150' of 7/8" for main lines, and I can get it down 2" lines if there is a really bad clog. I also keep 45' of 5/8" open wind for small lines, I can get that through 1 1/2" galvanized. Have to be careful with the 5/8" cable, though, as the K60 really has too much power for that light of a cable. It is really easy to kink or break the 5/8" with the K60. I also have a K1500 at my shop with 1 1/4" cable. If I know I will be getting into 6" or larger, heavy roots in 4", or scraping scale in old 4" cast iron, I will bring it along.

I do have a K375, a smallish drum machine with 75' of 3/8" cable. I have used it a few times, and while it might have some applications where it would be a good choice, such as an exterior cleanout on a 2" drain, it just doesn't have enough versatility to take up valuable truck space for me.

However, if I were to only do drain cleaning, I would probably consider adding some drum machines to the line up. A big drum machine with an auto feed would sure be nice on long main lines where I end up making multiple passes. I would also consider a pistol machine for sink and tub drains.

Sounds good, yes the reason I'm hesistant on sectionals is it I have to make multiple passes on some lines, right now I average about an hr and a half from start to finish for a main, how long would it take with a sectionsl? Also how clean would I be able to keep my work area as almost all of the main C/O are in finished basements. I do understand the guide hose minimizes the mess however am I going to have to worry about it whipping around and catching/damaging something? Like I said I've never used a sectional before.

On another note how does the K60 perform with roots? Most of my mains are 3"-4" residential with light to moderate roots so just curious if I went the sectional route if i could get by with a machine like the K60 or Root66 from General until I build enough capital to buy a bugger machine like the K1500.
And how would the K60 handle in say the odd 6" main I may encounter, however unlikely as I dont do much commercial work

By myself, with an accessible cleanout, going in ~ 60' two trips is going to take me about an hour and a half. That is with taking the time to actually clean the line. And accounting for a bit of work when I encounter the actual blockage.

Light roots are not a problem, I can clear them completely in a single pass. If the line is really a mess, I find that I have to bring the cable back out and use a smaller head to get a hole opened up. Then go back in with a full size C head or root saw, and some patience. Or use the 1500. It has less patience than I do.

I have used the K60 in 6" and 8" lines, but I wouldn't recommend it. The cable is too light, and the machine doesn't really have enough power.

Latest posts

Back