Gas Water Heater Thermostat

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mit Yeltu

Reaction score
I have an old gas water heater that is no longer providing hot water. The thermostat has been turned up all the way to Very Hot and the water is still mildly hot at best. I have not inspected the dip tube yet, and will look at it this weekend. Assuming the dip tube is in operable shape, then I imagine the thermostat will need to be replaced. The unit is old (> 20 years) . The thermostat is model 37C73U 629. This is apparently obsolete. Is there a model that I can use to replace this or am I just going to have to replace the water heater if the thermostat is bad? In other words, if the thermostat has to be replaced, can I just get one that's close to matching, or do I have to have the same model?

I wouldn't invest the money and time for a thermostat on a 20 year old water heater. You put it in and a week later it
springs a leak. Can't take back thermostats. Like voleti said its time to replace.

Call you local gas department. Ours here installs a tankless noritz for $50. Fifty. That’s all. $50. Just for upgrading. They do offer tanks. $75. Lol just so you want the tankless. Noritz for $50.

Thanks for the advice. I'll call my gas company, but I suspect I will wind up going with a tank that i install myself. Good advice either way.

Thank you all.

Latest posts

Back