Galvanized Drain Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nganchris

Reaction score
I have a 2" galvanized drain line running in the crawlspace for about 35 feet. About 8-10 foot length of the line is sagging a bit. It requires annual snaking. Now, I have some holes (rusted through on the bottom) developed within the sagging section.

My thought is to just cut out the 10 foot section and 'mission' in ABS pipe. I talked to one plumber (who sounded very knowledgeable) and he said I should replace the whole run because other sections could also be rusted even though the pipe looks fine away from the sagging section.

What should I do. Replace the whole line and just a 10 foot section?

Galvanized rusts up on the inside and will catch anything going down the line, if you only replace a section of the pipe you will still have issues on both sides of the new ABS. I agree that you should replace it all at the same time so you don't have to worry about it again.

Leon

OP,
Did that in my basement with a clog prone long run of 1 1/2" galvanized from the kitchen to the main stack. Used PVC. Pain in the neck but well worth the trouble.

I agree with the plumber and the other posters, replace the whole section while you are at it, the other sections will be giving way before too long if they are left in place.

Back