Frequent clogs, what can I do?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CABrouwers

Reaction score
A drain pipe in my apartment gets regularly clogged, and I wonder how I can prevent it from happening.
I am also curious to understand what might be happening since some of the symptoms sounds rather curious to me.
  • The apartment is located in an old industrial building, and most pipes run under a raised floor.
  • A 4" pipe connects two adjacent bathrooms to a riser. The distance is about 25`.
  • Each bathroom includes a wall-hung toilet, a bathtub, and a sink.
  • My recollection from construction is that the pipe meets the minimal slope requirement of 1/4" per foot.
  • Any change or repair to the piping would be very costly, as it would require removing the tilework and/or the wood flooring.
For the first five years after remodeling, we experienced occasional clogs, which a plumber would resolve then with an auger. However, clogs are now occurring every few weeks. Perhaps it is because the bathrooms are used more (children getting older + COVID confinement), or maybe something has deteriorated?
  • The clog is usually announced by gurgling in the toilets bowl (Why?).
  • the water level in the bowls becoming very low after a flush also seems to announce a clog.
  • A plunger can't beat the unclog, but it does manage to empty the bowl. Strangely, I can usually flush and empty the bowl repeatedly by actioning a plunger, so the water can get thru. Water might back up in the bathtub but usually drains within minutes.
  • Sometimes using actioning a plunger in one toilet makes the other bowl empty (?)
I bought a powered auger and can unclog the pipe by removing one of the toilets and pushing 30' feet of snake wire into the pipe. I am not happy however to have to do that chore every few weeks, and I would welcome any suggestions on improving the situation.

A drain pipe in my apartment gets regularly clogged, and I wonder how I can prevent it from happening.
I am also curious to understand what might be happening since some of the symptoms sounds rather curious to me.
  • The apartment is located in an old industrial building, and most pipes run under a raised floor.
  • A 4" pipe connects two adjacent bathrooms to a riser. The distance is about 25`.
  • Each bathroom includes a wall-hung toilet, a bathtub, and a sink.
  • My recollection from construction is that the pipe meets the minimal slope requirement of 1/4" per foot.
  • Any change or repair to the piping would be very costly, as it would require removing the tilework and/or the wood flooring.
For the first five years after remodeling, we experienced occasional clogs, which a plumber would resolve then with an auger. However, clogs are now occurring every few weeks. Perhaps it is because the bathrooms are used more (children getting older + COVID confinement), or maybe something has deteriorated?
  • The clog is usually announced by gurgling in the toilets bowl (Why?).
  • the water level in the bowls becoming very low after a flush also seems to announce a clog.
  • A plunger can't beat the unclog, but it does manage to empty the bowl. Strangely, I can usually flush and empty the bowl repeatedly by actioning a plunger, so the water can get thru. Water might back up in the bathtub but usually drains within minutes.
  • Sometimes using actioning a plunger in one toilet makes the other bowl empty (?)
I bought a powered auger and can unclog the pipe by removing one of the toilets and pushing 30' feet of snake wire into the pipe. I am not happy however to have to do that chore every few weeks, and I would welcome any suggestions on improving the situation.

Are you using anything different wet wipes or anything like that

Thanks for your question.
NO only water, toilet paper and human waste!

Agreed to the camera inspection.

There could be a hair curler, plastic toy, etc, stuck in the pipe.
Or a rough joint that collects toilet paper.

Frequent toilet clogs are a sign something is not right – the issue typically has to do with your plumbing, your toilet, or what goes down it. Common causes when a toilet keeps clogging include:

• You have an older model low flow toilet
  • Items that shouldn’t be flushed have been flushed
  • Too much toilet paper use
  • The toilet trap is clogged
  • The toilet vent is blocked
  • Your sewer line is clogged

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back