French drain advice needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bad drainage issue that has caused mold growth in my crawl space. I need to move the water coming from the up hill property next to me and drain all around the house to get the water away from the structure.
Any advice on the proper way to proceed would be appreciated.

Do you have gutters/downspouts, keep the 10' away from the house if you can, if it's coming in from the ground,pump it out of the house dig a trench pipe it far away from the house, I have that situation sometimes, my drain discharges about 50' away from the house at a low spot

The well accepted and truly successful way to move subsurface water is to lay an excavated trench with filter fabric and drain rock, with 4” perf drain pipe below the floor level of the building, use any of the excellent wall water shedding wall treatments (Enka drain comes to mind), then fill the filter fabric envelope to grade.
There are specialty drainage companies that do this in our area. It takes a ton of work and proper technique to get it right, so it is costly.

I'll second breplum , do it right the first time. (I thought i did) Where I am, I have (what they call here) compressive soil. It gets wet, it pushes against the walls. (Mine cracked and i had to find a way to stabilize and repair them) but the water in that soil just wants to come in. I get a small amount at the base of my walls. I originally waterproofed as breplum said, but that just wasnt enough. If your on a slope, you may have to dig a wider channel that moves it away from the house. So it moves away before it gets there. If it stays by your walls, it's comming in. Ive tried everything over the last 30 years. Nothing stops it.

Do you have gutters/downspouts, keep the 10' away from the house if you can, if it's coming in from the ground,pump it out of the house dig a trench pipe it far away from the house, I have that situation sometimes, my drain discharges about 50' away from the house at a low spot
It's the water coming from the properties above, not from the ground. I definitely need to install a french drain. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

That really depe
It's the water coming from the properties above, not from the ground. I definitely need to install a french drain. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
That really depends on the slope, how it pools, where it's absorbing into the ground. Water is very invasive.

Latest posts

Back