Floor Drain Sewer Odors

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBHomeOwner

Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone,

I am a new homeowner and am currently experiencing some very unpleasant sewer odors coming from a floor drain and toilet in my basement.

1.) The toilet and floor drain are in a finished basement in a finished bathroom.
2.) The floor drain is very old (house built in 1939) but has a P trap and it is filled with water.
3.) There is a strong "wind" or backdraft coming up through the floor drain.
4.) I went to bed on a Saturday and woke up on Sunday to the smell being very bad.
5.) I had a sewer company come and inspect the sewer and did a complete hydro jet. So now I have a completely clean, fully functioning sewer, but the smell still exists.

What are some of the possible reasons for this? Why would the floor drain have a "backdraft" breeze coming through it from the sewer?

There is a lot of construction going on in my neighborhood and some of which involved complete demo of houses. Is it possible that another property plugged their tie-in to the city sewer and changed the flow of gases?

Any information that anyone can provide is VERY appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Back