Flooding over septic tank and in crawlspace after repairs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo12

Reaction score
I have a septic tank next to the side of my house. Drain field is in the backyard and about 5ft uphill, so there is a transfer pump between the two.

About a month ago I had my system inspected and turns out the pump had just failed. I had the pump replaced and the system inspected, clean bill of health.

This is when the trouble starts.

Ever since the repair any rainstorm will cause my crawlspace to flood. I also noticed that the ground above the septic tanks is very wet, generally 3 inch deep puddles (picture attached). It never did this before the repair. I've been pumping the water from the crawlspace, and a decent rainfall will result in easily 1000 gallons pumped out. It's the PNW and winter, so this is most days.

I am concerned something went wrong in the pump replacement process such that LOTS of rainwater is pooling around the tank and then into the crawlspace. Is there anything in the pump replacement process that could have gone wrong that would cause something like this?

Other notes:
  • No foul odors or discernable sewage are present
  • We're light users of the system overall, 2 people for a 3 bedroom rated system
  • Drains may be draining a little slowly, but hard to tell

Attachments

• Photo Jan 06, 8 50 48 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 06, 8 50 48 AM.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
You need to grade the area to drain away and not pool up.

Sounds like your systems working but you need ground work done to divert rainwater away from your foundation.

Thanks for the reply!

Totally agree some grading work here would be good.

But the mystery to me is why the change in behavior occurred. I had years of no flooding and then after the repair it's non-stop.

Thanks for the reply!

Totally agree some grading work here would be good.

But the mystery to me is why the change in behavior occurred. I had years of no flooding and then after the repair it's non-stop.

Seems like you would’ve had trouble when the pump wasn’t working .

I would grade the area and double check that rainwater is being conveyed away from the foundation. Then wait and see if it drys up.

We have underground springs here that stop and start flow. Water just starts flowing out of a hill....... People call me thinking it’s a plumbing leak.

Latest posts

Back