Excessive sewer gas from roof vents. Help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpnfish

Reaction score
Ok, I have a home constructed only a couple months ago. It has an aerated treatment system with the treated water flowing naturally (no pump) onto the back of my property. I have talked to my builder and his plumber about this problem and they don't have an answer except to install one way check valves on all my roof vents. I've called other local plumbers and they haven't heard of this and said it shouldn't be happening. Check valves or filters may solve the smell, but I'm convinced there is something else wrong.

Everything inside works fine, no gurgling, no smell, no slow drains or leaks. Water discharged after treatment has no odor.
Roof vents are so bad, that the outside of my house is swarming with some type of fly, and eaves and roof are covered with them. Smell is bad enough when wind is not blowing, we cannot open our windows. The flies are bad enough visitors are complaining and won't spend time in our yard. This is so aggravating to deal with on our new dream home, and nobody has answers.

More details... Most of our neighbors have the same treatment systems, and we are the only ones with this issue in our subdivision. Our vents even sit higher on the roof than most of the houses. Our neighbors house do not have these flies congregating even right next to their vents. I have removed the cleanout cap on the 4" line going into the tank, and other than a slight smell, I do not have this bad of a smell. Its coming from all 5 roof vents equally. You can almost see the haze coming from them.

Any help would be great! My big question would be because of the aerator, where does that air pressure go, surely the positive pressure in the tank from the aerator has to go somewhere? Could this be pushing the gases back up through my vents? And if so, surely that would be normal for all aeration systems, so why the problem with mine?

Back