Elevated Jacuzzi Drain Piping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43Chuck

Reaction score
I'm making major changes to a bathroom which include removal of a Jacuzzi tub, re-location of a basin, removal of a large mirror and expansion of a shower stall. So far, I've removed the Jacuzzi and the mirror behind it (see photo IMG_1363.jpeg.....partial view of basin on right-hand side of photo, shower stall out of view to the right). When the previous homeowner installed the Jacuzzi tub he placed it on a plywood platform higher than the surrounding bathroom floor with a two-step access at the rear of the tub for entry. Instead of coupling the tub drain pipe to the existing sink and shower drain piping below the floor joist tops, he assembled new piping above the floor joist level and, using 45° and 90° elbows, ran the new piping down to the below-joist-top level to connect to the existing drain piping. In photo IMG_1365.jpeg the red arrow points to floor joist, the yellow to added elevated piping assembly, the green to (former) Jacuzzi drain, the black to the vent stack and the pink to the basin drain pipe connection. Photo IMG_1364.jpeg is another view of the elevated piping and its connection to the below-joist top piping (the braided hoses with their shutoff valves supplied water to the Jacuzzi....I will remove those).

It seems to me I could remove the elevated piping assembly when I re-locate the basin to the far wall where the (former) Jacuzzi drain is and connect that drain to the existing drain piping below the joist top level. I would bring the vent stack down to the below-joist top level for connection to the drain piping using an elbow.

Has anyone else encountered this piping method? Does anyone see a mistake in removal of the elevated piping assembly?

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1365.jpeg
    IMG_1365.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Whoops! The blue (not black) arrow points to the vent stack.

nothing about that plumbing is anywhere close to code requirements. Pure junk job, not by a plumber. Crazy bad.
So removing, yes. Doing it right. You'd need more than a quickie answer, sorry.

Back