Electric water heater still hissing after draining and flushing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses. I had previously wondered if it might just be buildup on the lower element since it only does that when the lower element is heating. If I drain the tank and the upper element heats, it's completely silent. I forgot to mention that previously.

And here we are six months later and time to do it again ..... only a tad different this time.
Flush out the pressure tank.
Check the psi in the air bladder.
Drain the tank and remove the elements.
Vacuum the sediment which was up to the bottom element again.
This year remove the old anode which incidently was much easier than I had anticipated.
Using a low density rod in the top and a high density in the bottom ....... only because I have four of the low density available.
Anode was "due".
IMG_1431.JPG

I find it amusing that there are videos out there (one from grmpy old plumber) that says never flush or change anode, waste of time. I guess that would depend on your water quality. My tank us over 20 years old, flushed one ti e, and is still running fine (probably just jinxed myself) I was going to swap it out, but decided to just wait for it to quit. Maybe if your planning on a bed tank every 5 years. I guess you could just leave it alone.

I find it amusing that there are videos out there (one from grmpy old plumber) that says never flush or change anode, waste of time. I guess that would depend on your water quality. My tank us over 20 years old, flushed one ti e, and is still running fine (probably just jinxed myself) I was going to swap it out, but decided to just wait for it to quit. Maybe if your planning on a bed tank every 5 years. I guess you could just leave it alone.

Water quality is a big factor.

We have great city water that’s treated and is around 7.5-8 ph with low tds.

Just to mention the heater was new three years ago and the solid magnesium rod lost 4 inches from both the top & bottom in that time. From all the reading I've done ......... I did not anticipate the negative reaction to happen so quick ..... I thought the rod would last at least five years. I appear to have an extreme situation.
Also ...... Just to mention ... I bought two replacement anodes two years ago for $9.99 each ..... I looked yesterday at the same place ( Supplyhouse ) and they are $26. each.

Hopefully you have a good working drain beside that old water heater. If the bottom of that tank opens up it could be a mess.

Just to mention the heater was new three years ago and the solid magnesium rod lost 4 inches from both the top & bottom in that time. From all the reading I've done ......... I did not anticipate the negative reaction to happen so quick ..... I thought the rod would last at least five years. I appear to have an extreme situation.
Also ...... Just to mention ... I bought two replacement anodes two years ago for $9.99 each ..... I looked yesterday at the same place ( Supplyhouse ) and they are $26. each.
It’s wild you get that much sediment in your water heater. What’s it doing to the faucets ?

No noted issues at the faucets .... although I do have a bag of aerators ( the two sizes ) & change them about every six months.

Last edited:
Back