Electric tankless heater for one bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without seeing your space. I'd also get your electric guy to review NEC 11.26.4(a).

Short version of the code says you only need 22" (of clearance) above the service panel to a "finished" ceiling.

(EDIT: local jurisdictions take precedence but most follow the NEC)
(EDIT 2: for up to a 200a service)

Meanwhile in the real world we have homeowners using extension cords wired into junction boxes(or not) as Romex strung through their attics 🤣

Was at one a few months back where the previous owner (squatter) had pulled the meter and was using (automotive) jumper cables to bypass 😂 🤣 😂 !

Just remembering these... had one a couple years back where the "tenant" (unbeknownst to their neighbor) tapped into an exterior outlet with an "oversized" (all 12 gauge - haha) extension cord to power up their ENTIRE house!

When I was wearing a badge, I kept getting complaints from an apartment dweller about his electricity costs being so high. We never found any issues until we conducted a narcotic search warrant on this guy's neighbor, and saw he punched a hole in the adjoining wall, and tapped into his electricity for an entire year. Thieves and crooks wil stop at nothing to rip others off.

I live in north Texas. Water coming fro. Well is 63 degrees. I have an EcoSmart 8 providing hot showers in a bathhouse. Shower head provides 1.8 gpm and we have plenty of hot water for a shower. Maybe the Ecosmart 11 would work.

I live in north Texas. Water coming fro. Well is 63 degrees. I have an EcoSmart 8 providing hot showers in a bathhouse. Shower head provides 1.8 gpm and we have plenty of hot water for a shower. Maybe the Ecosmart 11 would work.

It won’t and according to the factory specs you shouldn’t have enough with the eco 8.

The math doesn’t add up for the numbers you posted and what the manufacturer says it will do.

It won’t and according to the factory specs you shouldn’t have enough with the eco 8.

The math doesn’t add up for the numbers you posted and what the manufacturer says it will do.
good news is that it does provide enough unlimited hot water for the shower! Sure, it's almost pegged to hot only, but it's hot. Water heater set to 140 degrees

An eco 8 is rated at 55 degree temp rise at 1gpm.

63 incoming water plus 55 degree temp rise equals 118 degree water at 1gpm max hot water delivery at the outlet of the water heater.

A 1.8gpm shower with a water heater setting of 120 degrees required 73% hot water and 27% cold to achieve a 105 degree shower.

73% of 1.8gpm is 1.314 gpm of hot water required.

The eco8 will only put out 118 @ 1gpm of flow with a 63 degree inlet. 55 degree max temp rise at 1gpm. .

Last edited:
good news is that it does provide enough unlimited hot water for the shower! Sure, it's almost pegged to hot only, but it's hot. Water heater set to 140 degrees

Your input numbers according the manufactures numbers say otherwise.

An Eco8 will not flow 140 degree water at 1gpm with an inlet temp of 63 degrees. So it doesn’t matter how high you turn it up.

It has a 55 degree max temp rise at 1gpm of flow.

55 degrees plus your incoming water temp of 63 equals 118 degrees max temp flowing 1gpm.

A hot water setting of 120 degrees and a incoming water temp of 65 degrees requires 73% hot water to achieve a 105 degree outlet temp.

73% of 1.8 is 1.314 gpm. Your unit only puts out 1gpm at 55 temp rise.

Your shower head probably doesn’t put out 1.8gpm or your incoming water temp is warmer than you think. Also most people are not satisfied with that low of flow. That’s more of a volume to wash your hands........

Last edited:
Your input numbers according the manufactures numbers say otherwise.

An Eco8 will not flow 140 degree water at 1gpm with an inlet temp of 63 degrees. So it doesn’t matter how high you turn it up.

It has a 55 degree max temp rise at 1gpm of flow.

55 degrees plus your incoming water temp of 63 equals 118 degrees max temp flowing 1gpm.

A hot water setting of 120 degrees and a incoming water temp of 65 degrees requires 73% hot water to achieve a 105 degree outlet temp.

73% of 1.8 is 1.314 gpm. Your unit only puts out 1gpm at 55 temp rise.

Your shower head probably doesn’t put out 1.8gpm or your incoming water temp is warmer than you think. Also most people are not satisfied with that low of flow. That’s more of a volume to wash your hands........
lol. I used a new thermometer to measure the temp of incoming water AND water coming from shower, not the back of my wrist! The brand new shower head is rated at 1.8 gpm and I just went and measured that! Using bucket and measuring cup to collect water for about a minute yielded 27 cups of water. About 1.7 gpm.

Living in an RV temporarily, I'm thankful I built this washhouse and can take hot showers.

lol. I used a new thermometer to measure the temp of incoming water AND water coming from shower, not the back of my wrist! The brand new shower head is rated at 1.8 gpm and I just went and measured that! Using bucket and measuring cup to collect water for about a minute yielded 27 cups of water. About 1.7 gpm.

Living in an RV temporarily, I'm thankful I built this washhouse and can take hot showers.

1.8 is what most people use to wash their hands. I guess you could shower under .5 gpm and call that a shower as well but for the general public it’s frowned upon.

The manufacturer also does not recommend them for showers. But I assure you that you won’t get 140 out of an eco8 at 1gpm with a 63 degree cold temp. You’ll be throwing that E5 code.

You got 1.7gpm but you never said what temp.....Also “ about a minute “ isn’t very accurate.

Last edited:
Here’s the text message I received for a Rheem Retex-18. Same thing as an eco
A0B76CF7-AC69-406B-84A8-D43BB2463784.jpeg2677860F-D69A-48FE-AB8F-E7DD138562AE.jpeg

Latest posts

Back