Elbows in a bathroom waste pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CIRT12

Reaction score
Hello,

I am renovating my kitchen and am taking out a wall. The problem is that there is a bathroom toilet waste pipe that runs through the wall approx 17" from the outside wall. Can I cut the ABS pipe on the flange above the elbow to turn the elbow 45 degrees so it will run down the outside wall. I would have to then place another elbow on it in the basement to reconnect with the original down pipe. There is also a vent pipe that runs out of the down pipe (from were the toilet pipe connects) that would need to be elbowed as well. Is this possible to do? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am not really sure but I think so. The vent pipe connects to the down pipe at the same spot where the toilet flange connects. The waste pipe then goes down through the wall and the vent pipe goes up through the upstairs wall to the attic and up through the roof.

Well, I am still not sure from the description.

But I will try to explain it as best as I can. The drain arm over to the toilet connects to the stack, which is what you are calling the down pipe, with a tee. The vent starts at the top of that tee, and must rise vertically, with no horizontal offsets, until it is at least 6" above the top of the toilet seat. Once above that 6", it can be moved sideways as neccesary. Also, under some codes, the drop distance from the toilet to a vented arm can be no more than 24". So if you moved the tee down into the basement, it would violate that. It is worth mentioning that under 2007 International Plumbing Code, the 24" restriction does NOT apply to toilets. So that is why I say that codes vary. In fact, I have learned from one of our Canadian members that Canadian plumbing code DOES allow you to have a horizontal vent pipe below the rim of the fixture. Did I mention that codes vary?:)

So the correct answer to your question might very well depend upon where you are.

Latest posts

Back