Ejector pit issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrittjr

Reaction score
I put in a bathroom in our basement two years ago, and I've been having frequent problems. The toilet, shower, sink, and laundry empty into the pit, and the way it was set up, it would dump right onto the ejector pump. Toilet paper and waste would get on the pump, causing the pump to continuously run (I'm not sure what triggers the pump to run, as I'm clueless with that and I wasn't the one to install it). I would have to go in about once a month to clean it off, and it would work fine after that. I later put a 45 elbow on the inlet in the pit, causing the water to hit the side instead of dumping out on the pump. This helped, but now I'm having the same problem again. What in the world am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this once and for all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John. For information's sake, what do you think would be causing it to run continuously if paper shouldn't be triggering the switch? It is only 2 years old, and it isn't a cheapie. And why would cleaning if off cause it to work properly again?

What type float switch do you have? If it's a small switch attached to the pump then paper could cause it to continually run. That type switch runs up and down a a small rod that is easily fouled.

John

Last edited:
There is nothing external to the pump that I can see. All I see is the pump with no rods or floats attached anywhere.

Here's a picture of the setup:

Picture%252520006.jpg

Here's a picture of the float:
Picture%252520004-1.jpg

How exactly does this type of float work? Not knowing that, what would be causing it to run continuously? I was just in there to clean everything off, as it's been running again, and there's no junk on the float (as far as I can tell). Cleaning it off causes it to work properly. I'm stumped. I'm ready to try the suggestion of another float, but I don't see why this shouldn't be working properly. I feel like I'm missing something.

Last edited:
No, that's the unused knockout for the 4 inch pipe. I updated the second pic to point out the float. Assuming I replace it, do I need to remove it, if of course I can even get it off?

One problem I do see is the vent pipe looks like it's frequently submerged. Not good. The bottom of vent pipe should be above the highest water level the pit will ever have. If not, and the cover is sealed properly, you'll create a vacuum in the pit. This puts a load on the pump motor and reduces its effectiveness and possibly its life.

Another thing, you say you have a toilet hooked up to this system but you have a 2" elbow you attached to the waste inlet. Did you reduce it or is that how it was installed? At a minimum you should have a 3", preferably 4". I've never seen a toilet outlet hooked up to a 2" waste line.

As far as the float, it should be opposite the waste inlet, never under it. Maybe you want to turn that elbow the other way or rotate the pump. I can see waste splashing against the side of the pit and bouncing back onto the float.

When we built our house we installed a Zoeller pump and it has an integrated float. That float lost its buoyancy after about 10 years. We removed it and installed an aftermarket independent float and 15 years later it's still running fine. You just have to make sure nothing can interfere with the float's ability to float freely, including making sure TP doesn't load up on it.

Also, if you're installing the aftermarket float switch, make sure the switch lever won't load up with waste and shut off. If possible, use a Ty-wrap to secure it in the ON position. The aftermarket float switch has an electrical break in the plug so all you have to do is plug that into the receptacle and plug the pump into that.

The reason why the vent pipe looks frequently submerged is because I would turn the pump off in the morning before work due to it not shutting off, and I would forget to tell my wife. She would do the laundry and it would fill up. That's the only time it would happen, and that was only a few times.

That elbow is actually a 4" elbow, so everything is correct. What doesn't make sense is that the waste never actually dumps out on the float. It actually IS on the opposite side of the inlet. Even if I turned the elbow around, it would still be dumping out next to the float, and not on top of it.

I'm probably going to just replace the float, although it's driving me nuts trying to figure out why this is doing this in the first place. The pump has only been in for 2 years, and it started doing this about a year ago. I'd like to know what kind of float is currently on there. When the water fills up, there are no movable parts. My father in law wondered if it was a pressure switch.

Thanks for the response. I'll keep your advice in mind.

Thanks for the clarification.

You didn't mention the brand or model of your pump. That might help.

Ejector pump pressure switches I've seen are cylindrical and have a large horizontal surface on the bottom where the diaphragm is, like this:
bv40.jpg

From your picture, it looks like that box the cable runs to is somewhat slim. Maybe there's a diaphragm under it? I also see two cables, one looks like it's connected to the top of the pump (the feed?), the other runs from the box you identified as the switch and over the top of the pump, then out of the pit?

Whatever the case, your switch isn't working properly and rather than beating your head against the wall trying to figure out why, why not just buy an aftermarket float and bypass the existing switch.

Sewage_Pump_Zoeller_035_DF.jpg

I might be all wet here, but isn't this sump pit in your basement? And your dumping the toilet into the sump pit??? I've never heard of that being done before. Where does the sump water and t**ds go after being pumped? Hopefully not directly out side on the ground like some sump pits I've seen. That bathroom in my opinion should be piped to the septic tank or sewer.

The other thing that could cause problems is that sump pumps aren't supposed to move solids. Sewage pumps are used for that application and can move up to 2" solids in most cases. Sump pumps are limited to 3/8".

It's a sewage ejection pump installed by a licensed plumber, done to code, and inspected. The sump pump is elsewhere. I wish I had the paperwork for it, because I can't find the make and model anywhere on the pump. I tried taking pictures at all angles, but with no success. Bottom line is, like JulieMor said, that the switch isn't working properly and it needs to be replaced. For my own sanity though, I'd like to know if the switch is faulty or if something fouled up the switch. My guess is that before I put the elbow on, the sewage was dumping onto the pump and t.p. fouled up the switch.

Thanks again for your help.

It's a sewage ejection pump installed by a licensed plumber

That helps to know that. It's a very small tank for sewage though in my opinion. I would want to dump the sewage below the pump if possible, maybe by adding some pipe to the elbow, so the sewage goes in at the center part of the pump instead of on top of it.

FYI, I finally put the float switch in and all is working fine. For what it's worth, I respect you plumbers for the dirty work you do. Thanks for all your help.

Latest posts

Back