Drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeaanna

Reaction score
I have a one bathroom, main floor home with a well. Also, back in August/September my bathroom was remodeled with the toilet and washing machine hook ups moved from their original positions in the bathroom. Less than a week ago my grand baby told me that the water wouldn't go down in the shower and the toilet was "burping" while she was taking a shower. Since then my toilet seem as though it is clogged. As of today all my drains are acting like they are clogged. When I plunge the toilet the water comes up through them. I live in Michigan where it's not uncommon to have a frozen pipe during a cold snap such as we're having. Tomorrow is forecast at -6 Could it be a frozen pipe under the foundation in the craw space or a clogged drain in the sewer system. Thanks for any input.

It could be a frozen line, or it could be a blockage caused by something els. Find a way to try and thaw the line in the crawl space. Like a small space heater or something like that. Are you on municipal sewer or a septic system?

drain lines don't usually freeze, as they don't usually have water in them TO freeze. Also, unless you are getting air movement in your crawl space, the pipes in your crawlspace shouldn't freeze anyway. The temperature in most crawl spaces is usually close to the ground temp, about 50* F, regardless of outside temperature. As long as your house is warm, and you do NOT have air movement from outside to your crawlspace, unlikely to be frozen there.
That being said, it DOES sound like a clogged main line. Do you have an outside cleanout to check? Sounds like you need your main line snaked. Possible that a piece of debris from the remodel got dropped down the line.

drain lines don't usually freeze, as they don't usually have water in them TO freeze. Also, unless you are getting air movement in your crawl space, the pipes in your crawlspace shouldn't freeze anyway. The temperature in most crawl spaces is usually close to the ground temp, about 50* F, regardless of outside temperature. As long as your house is warm, and you do NOT have air movement from outside to your crawlspace, unlikely to be frozen there.
That being said, it DOES sound like a clogged main line. Do you have an outside cleanout to check? Sounds like you need your main line snaked. Possible that a piece of debris from the remodel got dropped down the line.

Traps will freeze. And crawl spaces aren't always 100% insulated or free from drafts.

Back