Double kitchen sink back up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboiler1

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've spent the last 4 hours trying to figure this out, and can't get it. I'll describe the problem, and what I've done so far.

Two kitchen sinks, disposal, and dishwasher. Sinks started backing up, and when I'd run the disposal, it would just fill up the right sink more. The dishwasher won't drain because it is backed up.
We took apart the assembly underneath the sink, cleaned the trap, put it back together. Still not working.

I used a 25 foot snake attached to my drill, and ran it all the way down the pipe under the sink, and pulled out some stuff, but nothing drastic. I've closed one side, and plunged the crap out of it, but it still won't drain, or only drains slowly. Is there anything else I can try without calling a plumber?

Thank you for your help.

Lots of unknowns going on.

Your powered snake might have gone the wrong way, up the vent to the roof, not down into the clogged drain.
Try running the drill rotation backwards next time, the tee right behind the wall goes both up and down.

Your snake might have poked through a greasy clog, and then when you backed out the snake, the clog just closed right back up.

You have not described anything about the layout of your house and drains.

Ranch house, multi-story, basement, slab, crawl space.
Septic system, city sewer.

Town house, condo, duplex, apartment.

Some clogs can be 30-50 feet from the sink, especially in a ranch house, or a big house with a wide footprint.

If it is a new install, did you knock out the plug in the garbage disposer?

Sorry for the delay all.
Two story house with a finished basement, built in early 90's.
Septic.

here are some pics. I ran the snake another 3 times to pull out some other junk, and it seems the water is running down now. However, there is water in the tray of my dishwasher, so I need to pull that out and reset the flood switch, so it will run normal, and see what I have.

sink.jpgsink.jpgsink.jpg

Is there a window above your sink or does the pipe go into the wall and into a tee, or does it 90° to the left or the right. When you run water does it take a minute for the back up to happen or is it right away

Window directly above the sink. Pipe goes straight down, after that, I can't see it.

Yes, it takes a minute for the back up to happen, and seems to happen more when a rush of water from the dishwasher happens. I can let the sink run for several minutes with no issues, but if the dishwasher sends water, it gets backed up quicker.

Hire someone who knows how to snake the drain.
How long was your snake?
Clogs can be 30 to 50 feet away.
Time for a pro.

No clean outs for this sink anywhere ?

Get a longer cable or it could possible have sludge, blow bag it. Be very careful 😬

Back