Does a trap have to be directly below the fixture?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Aav is your solution.
Diehard, in either of those situations, if you emptied a 5 gallon bucket of water into that sink you could easily suck the trap dry. I venture to say with a running trap, if you filled the sink completely and drained it at one time you’d suck that trap dry. You only have to
Lose a about half the amount of liquid from the trap to lose the seal. Not all of it.
Yes, I agree. That's why I prefaced it with, "...unless the sink is filled with enough water to create a large enough slug of water when released, neither would lose it's seal."
Of course if you emptied a 5 gal bucket into it you'd end up with half of the water on the floor.:p
And yes, if you lose about 2" of the trap water you'd lose the seal.

Last edited:
late to the party.
if you removed an S trap to repair the sink drain then by code you are allowed to go bck with the s trap.
If you removed the sink and replaced it with another, then you are not repairing, you are adding
which mans you have to bring the new fixture up to code.
a running trap in the crawl space is not going to work, your bathroom will always smell like sewer
you have a couple of options, you said the wall is on the joist. tough break but not a hill for a stepper
listen close
remove the base board, drill a 2'' hole next the the stud [cut a little sheetrock behind the base board]
bring the 1 1/2'' pipe up from below. install a street 45 inside the hole in the floor, you are ''nestling''
the offset below the floor and behind the base board
you will have to carve the bottom plate of the wall, a tad bit. but you can get that 1 1/2'' drain into that wall
behind the base board.

6''.png
it can be done, i've done it

Frodo - great idea. However, wouldn't that still be an S-trap?

I am trying to convince my daughter in law to live with an exposed pvc drain pipe behind the pedestal
If she agrees to that, I can use two 1 1/2 45s to kick the pipe back so it hugs the wall. Then put a 90 at the top of the pipe with a trap adapter, and use a P trap.

Going from a vanity to pedestal? Gross!

Just use the S Trap. If it doesn’t go into the wall you defiantly won’t have a 3” trap arm to satisfy the AAV and you’ll just end up with a bigger S Trap in the end

Last edited:
Going from a vanity to pedestal? Gross!

Just use the S Trap. If it doesn’t go into the wall you defiantly won’t have a 3” trap arm to satisfy the AAV and you’ll just end up with a bigger S Trap in the end
Depends on the sink dimensions as well as whether a horizontal bend is used to allow the 3" distance. You could make it work if you tried hard enough.

Frodo - great idea. However, wouldn't that still be an S-trap?

I am trying to convince my daughter in law to live with an exposed pvc drain pipe behind the pedestal
If she agrees to that, I can use two 1 1/2 45s to kick the pipe back so it hugs the wall. Then put a 90 at the top of the pipe with a trap adapter, and use a P trap.

no sir.

do not hug the wall. put the pipe IN the wall, cut the sheetrock out and do it right.
it is easy to cut corners and do a half ass job,
it takes a couple more hours and 40 bucks in Sheetrock and paint to do it correctly

run the pipe in the wall. install a vent and a clean out.

He ain’t gonna do it right. Look at the thread.

I agree with you Dave
I do not understand why people post a plumbing question on this site
then say they are going to rig it up.

Here is the bottom line, cheap is not right.
some guy posted the other day to use sheet metal and bondo to ''fix'' a floor drain.
sheet metal rusts and bondo is porous, the 'fix'' would last about a year then fail
I offer solutions that will last for 20 or more years not 20 days

“Buy nice or buy twice”. I have a tendency to be an *******(so I’m told) once I realize that a person is really just wasting my time asking me a question where really what they want is approval to screw things up. Their way.

That ********, starts with an “a” and ends with a “hole”.

Back