Dishwasher Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
Yesterday I installed my neighbors new Miele dishwasher. Their GE café series failed a few months ago. They had a Bosch 100 series and one other model installed and they didn’t like either one of them. When visiting a friend in New York, they came across the quite costly Miele and decided to give it a try.

Imagine my surprise when I go to attach the drain, and instead of connecting to the disposal, it was connected to a tailpiece. Well, actually, the tailpiece was plugged off because there had not been a dishwasher for the past month or so.

Why would you run the drain to a tailpiece instead of the disposal? Is there a reason for that? The drain line from the new dishwasher would not extend over to the tailpiece, so I connected it to the disposal.

The dishwasher is to the right of the sink. The tailpiece is on the left part of the two-part sink. Connecting to the tailpiece would’ve required an extension on the drain line.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpeg
    IMG_4318.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4317.jpeg
    IMG_4317.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Either way is fine. A case could be made that a dishwasher can make a disposal stink if it’s not washed out AFTER the dishwasher finishes. If the disposal is not stainless then the acidic dish soap can accelerate corrosion.

Either way is fine. A case could be made that a dishwasher can make a disposal stink if it’s not washed out AFTER the dishwasher finishes. If the disposal is not stainless then the acidic dish soap can accelerate corrosion.
Thank you. I had just never seen the use of the tailpiece like this WHEN there was a disposal. I was wondering if there was something specific to this I didn't know. Either/Or. OK.

In my neighborhood, the chance of corrosion causing failure is superseded by the accidental Lego piece going into the disposal. Broke one of the masher arms off a GE disposal at my neighbors.

Another possibility in some installs is the disposal may not have been there when the dishwasher was installed.

Latest posts

Back