Dishwasher discharge hose adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
New member - this looks like a very useful site - thanks in advance!

In the process of replacing my under sink garbage disposal, I noticed a substantial leak in the dishwasher discharge hose. It emerges from the dishwasher as a plastic covered wire spiral (I don't know what to call it but assume this is fairly standard) and it terminates at the garbage disposal as a standard clamped rubber hose.

I'm not surprised that it's leaking where the two segments have been joined. The dishwasher discharge hose was simply inserted into the (slightly larger diameter rubber hose) and clamped. This seems to me to guarantee leakage, no matter how tight the clamp, and there was apparently an attempt so cover the outside of the wire spiral hose with some kind of white plumbing cement before inserting to mitigate leakage.

Seems kind of half baked but I can't figure out what possible adapter I could buy that would marry these two hoses and am fearful that I'm going to have to try to reconstruct the glued connection. This is all somewhat complicated by the fact that the dishwasher is super difficult to get access to so I'm trying to avoid that direction if I can.

Any ideas on good, or even just serviceable answers to my problem? It all seems so strange - surely other people have this problem - this is a standard relatively new dishwasher trying to connect to a standard garbage disposal and yet there seems no easy way to interconnect them or establish a sturdy termination to the line coming from the dishwasher.

I'm probably missing something really basic. In any case, any suggestions on how I can lash something together that might work?

Thanks again,
Mike

O.P., you should know that the only safe way to connect a dishwasher to a disposer is via a dishwasher air gap.

O.P., you should know that the only safe way to connect a dishwasher to a disposer is via a dishwasher air gap.
Oh dear, my life has just gotten a lot more complicated.

Don't know when this installation happened originally - probably in conjunction with the installation of a marble (like) countertop some years back and apparently neither I nor the installer (probably the countertop guy and not a plumber) was aware of the air gap requirement and left no accommodation for it. I'm uneasy about how difficult it will now be to drill a hole in that material, and whether the installation will ultimately require access to the rear of the dishwasher, which is very difficult to access (partly as a result of the installation of the aforementioned counter top).

I guess I'll need to get an estimate from a local plumber on how and how much to get from here to there soup to nuts. Can anyone offer a guess as to what the ball park estimates I can expect?

In any case, thanks for all the advice thus far - this is really useful.

Mike, sorry, but I had to ask. Many posters forget to knock out the plug, so this is always my first question. I'm sure this is a simple solution, but as recommended above, a picture or two would really help us to help you.

Latest posts

Back