Dimensions for faucet and valve placement in a surround tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oohrahmike

Reaction score
Are there any rules for placement of the faucets and valves in a surround tub? When ever I have placed them I lined them up with the drain. Have seen them off to the side at times. Any help would be appreciated.

It's all esthetics. It just looks nicer when it's all lined up. There's nothing in my code for placement, but it's just good practice not to have it on outside walls or somewhere it may freeze.

Thanks. Having a home build and the plumber put valve and faucet off center and left by 2 inches and lined up the shower head even with the drain. Just does not look good to me. Thanks

Thanks. Having a home build and the plumber put valve and faucet off center and left by 2 inches and lined up the shower head even with the drain. Just does not look good to me. Thanks

It's not typical unless it's a handicap accessible unit (apartment etc.). I have had to do offsets on ground floor apartments before. but it wasn't 2" and only the valve with the handle. Not the spout. Sounds like it's too late to fix also as it is a surround and cannot be fixed like having tile replaced.

Try to keep accessibility in mind for service or change out

Another thing is that when tubs get framed, the carpenters have a habit of putting studs right in the center of the tub. I usually end up moving them to get my valve where i want. Perhaps your plumber couldnt be bothered to do it, but talk to them about the reason behind it being off center

Back