difficult to remove tub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcpolo

Reaction score
I replaced my tub spout about 8 years ago. I have very hard water and the diverter sticks and my kids have trouble with it. I want to just replace the spout. There is no set screw and I am pretty sure I remember screwing the thing on last time.

So, I get a 12" pipe wrench and start turning CCW. I get about an eighth of a turn and I am literally starting to bend the tub spout. I suspect thare may be a little hard water build up but I have never had to put this much elbow grease into removing a tub spout.

How much wrench is too much? I don't want to twist and buckle the copper stub and have a much bigger issue.

Thanks for any help.

If you are SURE there is no set screw then try running hot water through it for a while followed by cold amd the hot once more, what you are hoping for is that the expansion and contraction will free it up a little, and that the final heat will make it easyer to unscrew. steady pressure, and not more than elbow tight.... as much force as you could generate with only the elbow and not the whole body.... does this make sense?

a strap wrench would help.

if you got 1/8th then maybe try working it back and fourth a bit.

Back