Delta shower wall enclosure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyntonSteve

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to install a Delta 48" x 34" shower pan, and 3-sided wall enclosure. I have not installed one previously. Due to several reasons, I'm not going to be able to hit all the marks on the framing schedule provided by Delta. How crucial is that for a successful install? I can add more studs near the marks to make up, but several indicated marks can't be hit.

Any, and all, info and resources appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Typically you want to follow the instructions. I’d have to see it to determine what I think.

Unless your home is different than normal construction, that pan should line up. If one thing is off, expect everything to be off. You may be able to add studs, but think the entire installation all the way through to make sure you don't run into a bind later.

I don’t know exactly what you mean by hitting all the marks…
But my own experience with installing a shower pan, is that it must fit tight between the studs according to the manufacturers plan. Very important, is everything needs to be square and plumb otherwise you’re going to have issues with the finish wall. This may require shaving down or shimming up studs.

Just framed in a direct-to-stud shower, new construction. Even after adjusting the drain the maximum amount (without tearing out concrete), I was still left with 1.5" between the shower walls and the studs. So, I framed it in with sideways 2x4 'spacer wall' After the drywall goes in, no one will be able to tell without measuring.

Its not going to hurt a thing to have an extra stud or two in the wall. You want to be able to fasten to the stud.

Unless your home is different than normal construction, that pan should line up. If one thing is off, expect everything to be off. You may be able to add studs, but think the entire installation all the way through to make sure you don't run into a bind later.
While I was referring to the 3 piece enclosure, apparently pan sizes were different 28 years ago. The stated size for the new pan is 48x34. The old pan was about two inches deeper, or nearer to 48x36. I have no issue in mounting the pan, but I won't be able to set 2x4's for the surround exactly as the framing schedule wants. Thanks for your input. BTW, I have a Sue, too. 😉Shower unit.png

Its not going to hurt a thing to have an extra stud or two in the wall. You want to be able to fasten to the stud.
Thank you. There are a couple of points in the framing schedule I wont be able to fit a 2x4. The shower is on an exterior wall, and portico timbers enter the wall at that point. I'm wondering by how much I can move things. I've built motors with looser tolerances. 🙄Asked Delta, but they said to follow the instructions. Gee, thanks.

I don’t know exactly what you mean by hitting all the marks…
But my own experience with installing a shower pan, is that it must fit tight between the studs according to the manufacturers plan. Very important, is everything needs to be square and plumb otherwise you’re going to have issues with the finish wall. This may require shaving down or shimming up studs.
Thank you. I meant that I won't be able to comply exactly with Delta's framing schedule.Shower unit.png

Just framed in a direct-to-stud shower, new construction. Even after adjusting the drain the maximum amount (without tearing out concrete), I was still left with 1.5" between the shower walls and the studs. So, I framed it in with sideways 2x4 'spacer wall' After the drywall goes in, no one will be able to tell without measuring.
Thank you. Being able to pivot when you hit a snag, is what gets the job done. I'm thinking that plywood, bracketed in between 2x4's, is going to have to be my solution. But, still thinking...

Well, talking man to man, instructions are just fodder for the trash. All my life, I've used MICOR instructions. (Make It Come Out Right!)

Well, talking man to man, instructions are just fodder for the trash. All my life, I've used MICOR instructions. (Make It Come Out Right!)
Yep. And instructions have never been worse. I assembled a project recently, that used metric and standard measurements interchangeably, like they are the same thing. Stunning.

I'm currently looking for a new pool skimmer flapper for my pool. I've realized there are hundreds of sizes and shapes. Here I am with my tape measure on my lap, and one Hayward (American Company) description is telling me the dimensions are 20.3 CM x 10.8 CM. What the hell is this crap???

MICOR Buddy!

I have had to use plywood before try to use at least 3/4 though. I think the biggest concern is your outer 3 studs on each side I believe it is very specific on those for a glass shower door. Don't skimp in that area or you could have a broken shower door in no time.

I'm currently looking for a new pool skimmer flapper for my pool. I've realized there are hundreds of sizes and shapes. Here I am with my tape measure on my lap, and one Hayward (American Company) description is telling me the dimensions are 20.3 CM x 10.8 CM. What the hell is this crap???

MICOR Buddy!
In elementary school, in the sixties, there was a frantic push to teach metric. "SOON, the US will join the rest of the world, making metric the standard". Obviously, that didn't happen, but thanks to that, I'm pretty good with metric. It's those @#$ %^&* Roman numerals I still have little clue about.

I have had to use plywood before try to use at least 3/4 though. I think the biggest concern is your outer 3 studs on each side I believe it is very specific on those for a glass shower door. Don't skimp in that area or you could have a broken shower door in no time.
Thank you. Yes, I see the outer studs you're talking about. I'll be able to hit those marks, and it's looking like ply is going to be the answer for the rest.

Back