Delta 600 Series Shower Mixing Ball

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDS

Reaction score
I rebuilt my old Shower faucet with the plastic crystal mixing knob. Had a hard time getting bonnet nut off and insides trashed. I replaced the cup washers and springs along with a new ball and rest of kit. The old ball was made of plastic while the new one is stainless steel.

After getting it all done and tested here is what happens. Handle down is OFF, handle up is ON as it should be but the problem is as follows:

If I rotate knob left it goes to the 9:00 o’clock position and has hot water. From there it I rotate knob right it only goes to the 12:00 o’clock position and goes cold. With that little travel it is difficult to get a good mix, To the best of my memory it used to rotate between 10:00 o’clock and 2:00 o’clock where in the middle would be a good mix.

I turned the water supply off an, Using the tool that came with the kit, I loosened the retainer and bonnet nut and repositioned the ball and reassembled. Then it became the opposite with 12:00 o’clock being hot and 3:00 o’clock being cold. Seems that the vertical shaft in the retainer and the diamond shape of the ball stem prevents it from working as it should.

I called Delta and they verified that I had used the right ball, an RP212.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

JD

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 5
Use factory parts and follow an assembly guide.

Take it apart piece by piece and take pics as you do that and I might could help you. It’s an easy faucet to repair if you can get it apart, which you’ve done.

Is this the valve with the skinny copper tubes feeding it?
Maybe he twisted it up while getting the bonnet nut off?
Just a thought.

No did not twist up feed tubes. Got bonnet nut off by cutting notch in nut with dremel and gently chiseling it off. As I said it IS working, just not the way I remember

Did you replace the handle ? If you did and installed a lavatory handle(they look almost the same ).....it’ll act weird. 🤠

But even though wrong handle while hot mid cold indexing snap in screw cover is off 90 degrees it should still rotate 10 to 2 right?

Remove your existing handle, the wrong one, and take a picture of the faucet. Post it for me.

Here ya go...

Attachments

• E388DB07-EF4D-4A35-9F14-96D9C879531B.jpeg
    E388DB07-EF4D-4A35-9F14-96D9C879531B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
From the pic it looks like the white plastic piece may be cracked at the top.

Order of assembly
Large side of spring down
Rubber seat cup fits over spring
Ball
Rubber cam gasket
White plastic cam with the slot
Brass cap
Adjustment ring. It usually stays in the cap.

If that’s how you have it put back together, great.

Now get the right handle and if the valve isn’t ruined it’ll work like the factory intended.

Not cracked. May be the angle I was holding phone.

that’s the procedure I followed. No leaks.
I will try and disassemble and reassemble for the third time this week end. Is there an up or down to the ball?

I appreciate the help.
JD

Not cracked. May be the angle I was holding phone.

that’s the procedure I followed. No leaks.
I will try and disassemble and reassemble for the third time this week end. Is there an up or down to the ball?

I appreciate the help.
JD

I wouldn’t disassembled before I installed the corrrect handle.

The shower handle is made different. That’s most likely why you’re having trouble. You installed a lavatory handle, as we’ve discussed.

Back