Defective Shutoff Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitjv

Reaction score
The hot-water shutoff valve on my bathroom sink will not completely close off the water supply. The handle turns freely so I am assuming that the valve itself needs to be replaced (it's 20 years old). Before getting a new valve, is it even worth the trouble to disassemble the old valve to see if it is repairable? If not, is a ball-type valve recommended? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
If it's Brasscraft go buy another Brasscraft valve. Unscrew this nut on the valve and pull out the stem. Remove any debris from the old rubber and install new stem. I usually just replace the angle stop with new and I don't like quarter turn valves.

Attachments

• IMG_3591.jpeg
    IMG_3591.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Like rickyman mentions you can buy a new valve .......but they are repairable there are 2 washers one for the stem and one for the nut around the stem either way use needle nose pliers or something small to remove washer debris

Thank you for the responses. That is what I plan to do. Out of curiosity, is there a downside to quarter-turn valves?

Oh, one other question...the reason I need to shut off the water supply is to repair a leaky faucet. I replaced the spring & the rubber stopper on this faucet a couple of times in one year. As a rule of thumb, would it be better to simply buy the rebuild kit & replace the cartridge instead? Thank you.

Are you talking about a delta faucet, buy delta repair kits or brand repair kits don't buy danco or off brand kits, 1/4 turn are good if you want that they probably come in compression that will probably be the last time you need to rebuild if you use that style

Yes, it is a Delta faucet. Thank you for the heads-up on the off-brands since I have seen them in the stores.

The hot-water shutoff valve on my bathroom sink will not completely close off the water supply. The handle turns freely so I am assuming that the valve itself needs to be replaced (it's 20 years old). Before getting a new valve, is it even worth the trouble to disassemble the old valve to see if it is repairable? If not, is a ball-type valve recommended? Thank you for your help.

Yes, that’s a Brasscraft brand valve. It’s easily repairable in most instances.

Parts are readily available or you can buy a new Brasscraft valve of the same style and strip the needed parts out of it

defective huh, 20 years old......

Back