Cutting and Soldering pipes help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kshelley41

Reaction score
I've never cut or soldered pipes before so any general advice would be great. I am sure i can manage to find how to cut and solder pipes without any problems but my main concern is where to cut and solder it.

Below is a picture of the pipes i need to cut and close off. These hot and cold pipes lead to two different showers and i am getting rid of one of the showers. The pipes that are going straight up head to the shower that needs to be removed. my main question is this: can i cut off the pipes leading to the shower above. Can i weld the ends closed well above where the pipe turns to feed the other lines or should i cut below the t fittings and reconnect the pipes as if there was never another shower there.

If something here sounds awfully wrong please give me your two sense. thank you!

photozpd.jpg

Not sure what your trying to do. You say you have two showers do you mean two faucets in one shower or two shower heads to one faucet? A picture of the shower valve would help.

John

Not sure what your trying to do. You say you have two showers do you mean two faucets in one shower or two shower heads to one faucet? A picture of the shower valve would help.

John

I have two showers in one bathroom- one stand up shower and one tub shower.

The pipes that continue upwards feed the shower I am removing and the pipes coming off the t portion are feeding the shower I need to keep.

I would leave a foot of old pipe before cutting it off and capping it. You would make yourself a built in water hammer arrestor!

make sure the joints are clean and fluxed.

no water in pipe.

"crimp" the end caps on with channel locks ( not crush, "crimp" ) before soldering and it will keep the heat ( inside the pipe ) from lifting the caps off when you try to solder

you should see the solder drawn into the fitting... if this happens ( capillary action ) then your joint SHOULD be good, make sure to test before you seal the wall.

also, make sure of 3 critical things before starting.

1. is the water off, do you know where the main water feed to the house is.. make sure you do.

2. have you opened a fixture to relieve the pressure inside the lines

3. fire extinguisher present.

... happy soldering :)

Back