Cost of Morter Shower Base

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley140

Reaction score
All,

I am remodeling my basement and I would like to know what it would cost to have a Morter Shower base installed by a pro vs using a fiberglass base or attempting it myself. They base will be about 3x5. If any pros out there would be willing to share a number it would be appreciated. I am in Northern VA if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Here in the west you would be looking at around $800. Also depends if there is any demo or prep. If its a clean slate, then could be around $800-$1000 I would guess. If I were doing it for someone when I did remodeling, I would charge near that.

You could do it yourself and save $750+. Shower pan is very critical, do it wrong and you'll get mold or leaks. Its something that if you are not knowledgeable in the construction industry and its not your line of work, you may want to consider just paying someone. Another thing to consider is shower pans need to be inspected. If you are going that route.

However there are plenty of youtube videos to learn it! Mix the morter not too wet, like wet sand, shape it, use the shower pan membrane under it. Must get the slope just right and have the drain already installed and ready to go.

There are other shower pan solutions other than fiberglass and morter. Check out This old house videos, there are many products that make it a lot easier for the average joe.

Back