Correcting washer p-trap and vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dribera

Reaction score
I would appreciate any wisdom and experience you have on this problem I am trying to correct. Short story: contractor failed to plumb washing machine drain properly. (Let's leave the contractor issue until another time.) I am correcting the problem. Here is the current layout in an original photo from the time (2007) the work was done:
attachment.php

Please note my comments and details on the image. Feel free to ask if you have other relevant questions. A city inspector told me I need to fix the missing p-trap and add a proper standpipe. Here are two options I am considering. Maybe you have other options. The difference between option A and option B is that in Option B I am adding access to the vent at both the washer and the bathroom vanity. Do I need to do this? Comments are welcome.
Option A:
attachment.php

Option B:
attachment.php

Thanks in advance your your help.

Plumbing Corrections.jpg

Plumbing001.jpg

Plumbing002.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting frodo. Placing the drain for the vanity on the vertical vent is a good idea. I can't come straight down from the vent because of the where the drawers in the vanity are. But with a modification on option b, off setting that vertical I could attach the drain for the vanity. You've also answered my question about the washing machine vent.

Frodo,
Thank you for the detailed input. The drain lines I am needing to correct are behind finished walls. I will need to open the wall behind the washing machine and behind the bathroom vanity. As you can imagine I would like to keep wall board removal to a minimum. Your last suggestion would require that I remove more of the finished wall, as well as the toilet. I would like to avoid that. Your suggestion has me lowering the entire drain line, and since it is already below 18" I'm wondering if reworking that entire line is absolutely necessary. Please see the image below that incorporates your previous suggestions, but keeps the line at the current level. Is this feasible based on your experience?

attachment.php

Thank you again for your valuable help.

Ribera_Plumbing Corrections_02.jpg

I'm trying to notice all your details. Do I need to raise the horizontal pipes for the washing machine air vent above the top of the hose input?

if the main dain, i have marked as 1 is 18'' then it is to high

it needs to lower,,because, the lav "MUST" tunn up as shown and the drain on the verticle not horizontal

in order for that drain ti be at 19'' center drain to floor
then the main drain has to lower...no way around it

also..it has to lower because you sdo not want a stand pipe for the washer to be at the ceiling

Plumbing Corrections (1).jpg

flood.jpg

Frodo,
Thank you so much. I did this project over the last three days (the hottest days that Seattle has seen), and the inspection is scheduled for Monday. Here is my plan, an annotated photo comparing the original to the new work, and finally one photo of the finished work.

PLAN
attachment.php

ANNOTATED ORIGINAL
attachment.php

FINISHED WORK
attachment.php

Again, I thank you for your patience and your advice. I am thinking about posting this project in the project area of the forum. Take care, Dan

Ribera_Plumbing Correction_Drawing_As-Built_700x.jpg

Ribera_Plumbing Corrections_Photo Annotated_As-Built_700X.jpg

IMG_2337_700x.jpg

Last edited:
Back