Copper/cpvc compression transition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pita61

Reaction score
I have a 3/4 inch copper water supply line that I want to transition to cpvc. The line currently ends as a stub that will be inaccessible if an transition is done there. Would it be better to extend the copper with a sweat joint and into an accessible location or can a transition safely be done at the stub. Also, would a transition with a compression fitting on the copper and a neoprene washer/female cpvc fitting glued to the cpvc pipe work in the inaccessible location. Thanks for the help!

I just was made aware of the Sharkbite fittings--would you trust one of
those in this application?

Many feel shark bites are OK concealed, but I don't. They are sealed with O rings that can fail after time. That is my own opinion. The manufactures claim they can be concealed. (time will tell) Poly pipe was also going to be a revolution to the plumping business but it failed and ended up in class action lawsuits.

John

"Hello",

As already stated - You should NEVER use ANY Compression / Push Fit / Crimped Fitting in an Inaccessible Position - Apart from the Regulations / Codes or Manufacturers Recommendations You would NOT want to have to `Deal` with the Aftermath of the Fitting / Joint Failing at a Later Date.

Extend the Pipe with a Soldered Fitting and Copper Pipe - Then carry out the `Transition` in a Position that will be Readily Accessible if necessary in the future.

Regards,

CHRISM

Chris

I second the sweating a female adapter on and then using a male cpvc adapter or even extending it for any future maintnence.

I sweated a new run of 3/4 " copper up through the floor of the new bathroom and used the sharkbite to 3/4 " cpvc in the space where the point of use h/w heater will be so I can
monitor it or replace if need be. Thanks for the experts weighing in!

Latest posts

Back