convert lead sleeve toilet flange to PVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas791

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I am trying to reinstall a toilet and need some advice.
The old flange was a brass ring and a soft lead sleeve connected to a 3" PVC sweep elbow. The brass ring AND the lead sleeve are toast (have been removed). It appears that there is a fitting still inside the 3" sweep elbow!
Is it a part of the old lead sleeve that needs to be removed so that I can install a section of straight 3" PVC to get to floor height??
If so, what is best way to remove the piece still inside the elbow?
Or is there a better way to do this reinstall?
Thanks

Thanks for replying, Geofd.
Please see attached picture.
The problem is that I don't know how to connect a 7"length of 3"PVC (needed to get flange to floor height) with what is in the slab. Did the old style lead sleeves connect to the drain with a glued fitting?IMG_0274[1].JPG
Any suggestions are appreciated.

now, the question is how to cut that pvc off with out destroying the tile floor
here is a trick i use,
I make a jig out of copper pipe and fittings that changes the direction of my string
and i cut the pipe using a piece of string. lol swear to gawd
here is how to build the jig
you need to measure from floor to where you want to cut, that is the pipe measurement for the jig legs
2222.png

Thanks frodo,
That looks like a great solution. After I peeled away the soft lead sleeve all that is left is the bottom section of the sleeve shown in your picture. It seems to be flush with the top of the hub, so I'll get a ram bit and drill away :)
Also, great ti[ on how to cut the PVC extension flush with floor !!
Thanks very much

Back