constant sound of water running in walls, no leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churajn

Reaction score
Hi. For about a month now, I have heard the sound of water running in all walls of my house that hold plumbing. The sound started faintly and has grown to the point is can be heard across the room and keeps me up at night. here are some details:
- house is 91 years old
- on a tiny crawl space (about 7-8 inches high at tallest point)
- 2 full bathrooms
- no water softener
- sounds like when you have a hose on outside, but does not ever stop (I check the hose - no leaks)
- no water found anywhere inside or out
- had city check the meter today when I was at work - meter not moving at all, so city says I do not have a leak - there has also been no increase in water usage on bill since this started
- sound does NOT stop when inside shutoff is turned off, but DOES stop when water is turned off at the meter at the street
- I have had 2 plumbing companies out
- first said it was a leak between the meter at the street and the inside shutoff; referred me to second company
- second company thought it was a leak behind the shower - tore out entire shower, no leak. Then thought it was a leak under laundry room floor (sound is loudest in laundry room behind water heater where the inside shutoff is, but this is also exposed pipe, so nothing to muffle sound) - tore up laundry room floor, couldn't find anything leaking) - they want to completely re-do all plumbing in the house starting at the street meter - I feel this is ridiculously drastic at this point
- when I shut off the inside shutoff, I can still feel water (I assume it is water) running through the exposed pipes and both the hot and cold pipes going into the water heater
- water heater was replaced 1 year ago
- no issues with having hot water
- I have noticed slightly decreased water pressure
- all plumbers have checked the toilets and faucets for leaks or running - found nothing
Everyone is completely stumped and I am losing my mind (and my money)

That is very odd indeed.

Sounds Like a job for the "Pipe Whisperer"
I have been called that by a property manager several times.
Unless you're in the San Diego area, the only help I can provide is here on the forum.

1st of all I would never recommend ripping out walls and floors until I exhausted other options.
I showed up to condo that the owner gutted a bathroom because the plumber said he had a slab leak. Funny thing, There were no pipes under the slab.
8 unit building 4 on the 1st floor and 4 on the 2nd. Turned out to be a leak in the wall in another unit on the 2nd floor

Try this! Unconventional, but seems like you have exhausted a lot of ideas.
Look for a stethoscope type tool you can get and many auto parts store.
It is a very small tube connected to ear plugs. It is used to find /pin point noise in an engine or transmission.
You can use it on valves or exposed pipes and possibly sniff your way closer to the source of the noise

http://https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/automotive-stethoscope/oem-mechanic-s-stethoscope/70131_0_0

Last edited:
Hi. For about a month now, I have heard the sound of water running in all walls of my house that hold plumbing. The sound started faintly and has grown to the point is can be heard across the room and keeps me up at night. here are some details:
- house is 91 years old
- on a tiny crawl space (about 7-8 inches high at tallest point)
- 2 full bathrooms
- no water softener
- sounds like when you have a hose on outside, but does not ever stop (I check the hose - no leaks)
- no water found anywhere inside or out
- had city check the meter today when I was at work - meter not moving at all, so city says I do not have a leak - there has also been no increase in water usage on bill since this started
- sound does NOT stop when inside shutoff is turned off, but DOES stop when water is turned off at the meter at the street
- first said it was a leak between the meter at the street and the inside shutoff; referred me to second company
- second company thought it was a leak behind the shower - tore out entire shower, no leak. Then thought it was a leak under laundry room floor (sound is loudest in laundry room behind water heater where the inside shutoff is, but this is also exposed pipe, so nothing to muffle sound) - tore up laundry room floor, couldn't find anything leaking) - they want to completely re-do all plumbing in the house starting at the street meter - I feel this is ridiculously drastic at this point
- when I shut off the inside shutoff, I can still feel water (I assume it is water) running through the exposed pipes and both the hot and cold pipes going into the water heater
- water heater was replaced 1 year ago
- no issues with having hot water
- I have noticed slightly decreased water pressure
- all plumbers have checked the toilets and faucets for leaks or running - found nothing
Everyone is completely stumped and I am losing my mind (and my money)
Just a thought... do you possibly have a setup for instant hot water at any fixtures in the house? I don't have that setup and have only read about them, but, from what I understand, there is a small circulator pump that runs from the water heater to the fixture, and constantly circulates the water from the heater to the fixture and back to the heater. In this way, there is "instant" hot water at a fixture that is far away from the water heater. Supposedly, this setup saves on wasted water (running it waiting for hot water to get to the fixture), but I would think that it increases your electric bill to constantly run a circulator pump.

This is an important clue. With the inside valve turned off and you still hear the noise. Did you open a faucet to release the water pressure from the system and to make sure that valve did shut off 100%. That is important.

Probably right. If the previous step was confirmed that the inside valve was off 100% and all the pressure was relieved
Do you have any irrigation sprinklers on you water system between the meter and the inside valve?

- second company thought it was a leak behind the shower - tore out entire shower, no leak. Then thought it was a leak under laundry room floor (sound is loudest in laundry room behind water heater where the inside shutoff is, but this is also exposed pipe, so nothing to muffle sound) - tore up laundry room floor, couldn't find anything leaking) - they want to completely re-do all plumbing in the house starting at the street meter - I feel this is ridiculously drastic at this point.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Then I read jeffmatero76 and was :confused::confused::confused:
Thought -what the heck is he talking about.
I like a good challenge so I reread the original post.

jeff maybe onto something.

Check under all your sinks for a small recirc pump

I am curious if you do get it solved. Let us know if you find it.

have a funny story this reminds me of. I think I told it here before.

lady was frantic because she heard what sounded like a leak in the wall after she took a shower. On arrival I walked into the bathroom. sounded like a small exhaust fan running but this was a large bathroom with vaulted ceilings. No fans. Walked over to the glass shower enclosure and touched the glass.
It was vibrating. I reached up on top of the rail/frame and pulled out a disposable vibrating razors. She laid it up there while taking a shower and forgot to turn it off.:)

In you case the battery would have died by now. Good luck with that

1.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back