closet flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave43026

Reaction score
Hello! I have a question regarding a toilet flange to be installed in a second floor bathroom. I am putting in a new tile floor that will raise the floor height (backerboard + tile + thinset). My previous flange had rusted so badly that it flaked away. The rest of the previous flange (the PVC part) is intact. I'm weighing the following options, and any input would be great.

1) Install a Moss Bay two-piece flange and glue some extenders on top of it to match the added height. I'm not a huge fan of this option because there are lot of pieces that need to be glued and if there is a leak it will be beneath the tile floor and hard to identify.

2) I bought a gasketed closet flange that fits into my old flange. I like this option, but the problem is that I have a bend in the pipe that begins where the old flange ends (I have about 1 5/8" of straight pipe/flange to work with). So, the gasketed flange that I bought is much too long. Maybe they sell shorter ones?

3) Call a plumber to handle it. I'm assuming that they can deal with the bend and not have to tear up the subfloor.

Back