closet bolts turn freely

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OD354

Reaction score
Hi,

I am installing a new toliet and the issue I am having is that I cant seem to tighten the J-Bolts. They are turnng freely in the flange thus I can not tighten them. When I removed the old toliet this seemed also to be an issue as it took me forever to remvoe the nut, bolt was simply turning and not the nut. The flange is in good shape. How do I secure the J-bolt so that it doesnt freely turn in the flange alowing me to tighten the nut?

Also I have a slight wobble due to the new tile floor being slightly uneven, can I jsut use a plastic plumbing shims to correct this issue?

Thanks in advance!

OD

Use one nut to secure the bolt to the flange, and a second nut to tighten the bowl down. Provided you have a good seal with the wax ring, you can use small plastic shims to level the toilet.

I used to flatten small pcs of copper or stack a penny of two where needed with out the wax installed.
Once I have the bowl sitting wobble free with shims in place, I lift it off and place the wax ring.
The plastic wedges now available are so much esier to use. But set them before you wax it.

Use a nut to tighten the bolt to the flange, then use another to tighten the toilet down. Also, I'd use the plastic toilet shims to get rid of the wobble.

Back