Clogging debate

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLogan

Reaction score
So i had some quite bad drain clogs in the bathtub and kitchen sink recently. I put a bottle of declogger down both and it worked a treat. However upon speaking with someone else on another forum they were very against this stating it can harm pipes and pollution etc etc.

What are your thoughts on this? Having looked into it more it seems to come up quite a lot

I don't think drain cleaners are the way to go but that's just my choice. I tell everyone that I know not to use them but once again it's my opinion.

There's always another way to unclog a drain besides dumping chemicals down your drain.

Most but not all professional will agree using chemical is bad. They often, if they do work, just punch a small hole through the stoppage.

If you have cast iron or copper DWV drains, the chemicals could damage or weaken the structure of the pipe. Plastic drains are pretty much chemical resistant.

Some very old sewer systems are clay tile and concrete. corrosive acids can destroy the concrete if enough is used.

I used sulfuric acid once to burn some hair out. But you have to know what you're doing. It can generate enough heat to melt plastic.If you pour chemical into drain and does not work then you have another problem. Never use strong acid if it is not draining at all.

Had a customer use some sort of crystal lye in a laundry drain stand pipe. used to much. it hardened in the p-trap. I had to cut out the trap and replace it.

Thanks for the advice guys I will certainly bear it in mind for the future

Latest posts

Back