Clogged water line to Toilet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payback45

Reaction score
As the title states, i am getting zero water to my toilet. I changes the guts of the toilet and nothing. Supply lines are free and clear. I put a new shutoff valve on and when i turned the water back on to the house, the new shutoff valve didn't hold and came off ( didn't let the cement sit long enough i suspect) After that came off and water was filling the floor of my bathroom, all kind of black crud was in the water on my floor. I assumed it was what was blocking my water line.

I went to Home Depot and found a Sure 2 Connect by BrassCraft shutoff valve. No cement needed. Lets try this i thought. Got it on and boom, all is well. The black crap that came out was the problem. Woke up this morning, used the toilet and again, tank didn't fill up. Have to start this all over again. Finally got the new shutoff valve off of a plastic pipe ( CPVC i think, i'm not a plumbing guy). This time i attached some plastic tubing and led it to my bathroom sink. I'm not going to have it flood my bathroom floor again. Attached a hose clamp and some duct tape to be extra sure it doesn't blow off. I turn the water back on to the house and nothing. This time no water comes out of the pipe.

How do I fix this? I'd like to avoid calling a plumber because i'm not made of money but if it comes to that i will have to. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks

You probably have sediment at the top of your toilet fill valve now. Depending on which type you have, many you can pull the top off and clean it out. If you have a Fluidmaster like the one pictured below, you can pop off the top to clean it. There are many YouTube tutorials which will show you how.

Fluidmaster 400a.jpg

I dont think its that because I dont have the lines running to the toilet at all. Forgive me for not knowing the technical terms for everything but the pipe that feeds water to the toilet currently doesn't have a shutoff valve on it at all I took it off. The only thing that it has is some plastic tubing with leads to a sink. The main water is turned on and if the pipe was operating normally, the water would be flowing through the pipe, through the tubing and into the sink. But nothing is coming out of the pipe. Im trying to explain this as best i can. :)

Sorry for misunderstanding. Can you post up a pic here? We can give you proper guidance when we understand what you are dealing with. Also, it would help to identify which country/state you are in.

Sorry about that. I'm in VA and its 25 degrees out but i don't think its the weather. Everything else in the house works. What is puzzling is that it worked for awhile and this morning was back to being clogged. maybe it is the weather, i dont know. Its warmer this week coming up. The water is ON to the whole house in the pic.

thumbnail_IMG_6311.jpg

For what ever reason, i flushed the upstairs toilet and water started to trickle out of the pipe. Then out of no where it flowed freely. So it would appear for now its been fixed.

Last edited:
I have run water through the tube a few times now and im getting this black stuff when i turn the Main water off. Any ideas? it came through once i turned the Main all the way on (full blast).
I dont want to put a new shut off valve on because that black crap will back it up again

IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_6321.jpg

Last edited:
Ran the water a few more times and this came out. Feels like rubber but it almost melts in your hand when you touch it. Leaves an "ink" on your hands

IMG_6323.jpg

That looks like a rubber o-ring or washer if I've ever seen one

i guess my question is how did it end up in my pipe? I know there is no way to know but is this a common thing?

That looks like part of an o-ring from an old faucet that got in the cold line. I would run it for about five minutes in your sink until no more rubber pieces come out and then try it.

Back