Clogged washer drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering whether stopping up the drain line -at the clean out- then pouring several gallons of hot water mixed 50-50 with Dawn (dish washing liquid) might clear some of that clog, given you leave it in the pipe at least overnight. Dawn was used to clean up spills of tanker oil spills, ought to work in pipes too.

Anyone here with experience using oil-eating bacteria to clean pipes?
Dawn works when applied directly to the oil. As soon as you add it to the drain line it is going to get diluted with water, as will anything. That is why I say vinegar and baking soda only do so much until they get diluted when hitting water build up. If it were my house I would have the existing line cleaned out. If it were a roots getting in the pipe issue than that would be different

I asked the plumber again today why he couldn't jet the pipe to get the grease out. He said that where the grease was located, they couldn't jet from the outside cleanout and if they jetted from under the kitchen sink, that it would pull the grease back towards the sink instead of outside. I asked him if there were any other options to get the grease out and he said you could use chemicals, but that since the pipes were ABS and under a slab that it might cause more issues. If the jetting won't work, what other options do I have? What are your thoughts on this?

Dawn works when applied directly to the oil. As soon as you add it to the drain line it is going to get diluted with water, as will anything.
IDK..... Stuff worked, and in an ocean of seawater.
You'd think that would really dilute it.
Still, I'm not invested in the idea.. Just wanted to..... float it. ;)

I asked the plumber again today why he couldn't jet the pipe to get the grease out. He said that where the grease was located, they couldn't jet from the outside cleanout and if they jetted from under the kitchen sink, that it would pull the grease back towards the sink instead of outside. I asked him if there were any other options to get the grease out and he said you could use chemicals, but that since the pipes were ABS and under a slab that it might cause more issues. If the jetting won't work, what other options do I have? What are your thoughts on this?
Call a different drain cleaner company. Make no mention about the last guy told you.

Back