Cleaning out our water supply pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We've noticed black specs coming out of faucets when we shut the faucet off quickly, causing the pipes to rattle. I'd like to clean out all the water lines somehow. This problem is in both the hot and cold faucets.
Sometimes it's more than just specs, but dark water for a short time(minutes). What's a recommended way to fix this?

I also have some other projects related to this. I want to install a whole-house filter, possibly replace my 20 year old water heater, and put in an under-sink RO drinking water system. I think I need to take care of the black specs/dark water first.

Any tips are much appreciated.
Thanks

I have the same problem at my 50 year old house. It’s only on the hot water line. I was told the black specks are manganese. The only way to know for certain is to send a sample to a lab for analysis. If that stuff is flaking off the inside of the pipe it might be a permanent issue.

I have the same problem at my 50 year old house. It’s only on the hot water line. I was told the black specks are manganese. The only way to know for certain is to send a sample to a lab for analysis. If that stuff is flaking off the inside of the pipe it might be a permanent issue.
Thanks. My house is 70 years old and on well water. I'll have the water tested.

Back