Checking House PSI

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkiii

Reaction score
Hello there. I have a basic question. I noticed when the plumber checked the psi for the house (to make sure the regulator is working) he connected his checker to the output of the water heater instead of the hose bib in the yard. It had a reading of 75. When I hooked up my own checker i connected it to a hose bib and it read just under 50. Is it better to check PSI at the water heater? Thanks.

"static" pressure of a system normally reads absolutely identical.
Sometimes some hose bibb locations can have a branch that is not on the PRV zone. Depends on how the yard piping is done.
Also, neighborhood pressure can definitely fluctuate broadly, though a 25 psi swing is unusual.
Also, instrument difference may be at play.

Hello there. I have a basic question. I noticed when the plumber checked the psi for the house (to make sure the regulator is working) he connected his checker to the output of the water heater instead of the hose bib in the yard. It had a reading of 75. When I hooked up my own checker i connected it to a hose bib and it read just under 50. Is it better to check PSI at the water heater? Thanks.

Place your gauge on the water heater and see what it reads. What time of day did the plumber check ? You should check near the same time of day if you’re comparing readings to the plumbers.

Also, no two gauges would necessarily read identically. One or the other may be out of "calibration".

Is there a check valve in the cold water line to the water heater? If so, that will explain the difference in the pressure readings.

Is there a check valve in the cold water line to the water heater? If so, that will explain the difference in the pressure readings.

So you’re blaming the difference in readings on possible uncontrolled thermal expansion ?

Back