Cheaper to supply plumber with supplies?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvd7e

Reaction score
Is it cheaper to supply a plumber with parts, or would he use my supplies and probably end up charging me the same regardless?

I’m looking to have a bathroom sink pedestal replaced. I was originally debating about doing it myself, bought the new sink, pop up assembly, faucet, plumbers putty, trap assembly, supply lines, etc.. But now I’m having minor elective surgery which will affect my mobility for a few weeks, plus I don’t really know I’m doing anyways and would need to learn from YouTube, so I was thinking of getting a plumber to do it, should be a pretty quick and easy job for them. But not sure if I should keep all the parts or return them.

Thanks!

When we remodeled we supplied all the fixture related items, sinks, faucets, drains, etc. and the plumber supplies all the connection materials, pipes, fittings, etc. and labor.

Is it cheaper to supply a plumber with parts, or would he use my supplies and probably end up charging me the same regardless?

Are asking if a typical plumber adds some "vigoroish", "juice" or "value added tax" to his bottom line if that particular plumber procures the parts for you instead of you finding the best price yourself? When I had a water heater replaced, my findings were that, yes, the plumbing outfit did add substantially to the cost of the unit itself over what I could have gotten the same thing by myself. YMMV (your mileage may vary) however and, as Twowax said, you should ask the plumber you decide to go with or get a quote from.

Latest posts

Back