Cartridge identification help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukrkoz

Reaction score
I have rather badly dripping Kohler shower head. Removed single handle with its housing, it screws off rather easy, and found this.
Tried several times Kohler online part identification system but they start with 2 screws and so on, and I see none in this valve.
Valve is about 9 yo, place was built in 2006.
I sent email with pics to Kohler but it takes time for them to get back, so maybe I'll have luck here. I talked to CSR at Kohler phone help, she could not identify valve from verbal description. She also kept referring to screws - and I see none, unless hidden behind the red plastic washer.
Suggestions?
Thank you

20160111_191411.jpg

20160111_191453.jpg

Looks like a standard Kohler rite temp cartridge. That white piece unscrews and the big escutcheon comes off and you'll be able to access the cartridge Definitely try and get the part from kohler cause they are good with covering parts under warranty

That's kohler part number 306-ks-na-ab.
I flashed some light inside and found white sticker on the black piece.
Unfortunately discontinued but Kohler says lifetime cartridge replacement. I'll call them tomorrow.
So you saying I need to grab white plastic piece with something, like channel locks, and undo it? Just twist it out?

Isn't black horizontal plates sitting in that white plastic housing? Don't want to break anything...

Capture.jpg

The black part is the cartridge which is secured in the valve body. Once all the trim is removed the cartridge has screws that hold it in place. If the trim plate doesn't come off as is than yes that white piece will unscrew than that trim plate will come off so you can access the cartridge.

Cover plate does not come off but I think it's simply caulked to tile. I watched similar Kohler product video and it's held in place by dome shaped handle piece.
Question is - Kohler is sending cartridge - in February. Can I somehow block water drip in between? Take shower head off and plug the hose? I don't want water to back out into the walls though through valve itself. But it is getting worse drips gallons a day and we have second shower head on separate valve to use.

Oh ok ya Kohler had 2 different designs one the handle holds the plate on and than another a plastic nut holds the plate on. Capping the head shouldn't cause an issue with a leak in the wall. But it could cause an issue with the water mixing at the valve and with that you might find the hot water at other fixtures to not get hot

Latest posts

Back