Can't drain electric hot water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben546

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace/fix my hot water heater.

Problem is I can't drain it.

The bottle has a nozzle to attach a garden hose but there is no nob to open the valve to release the water. Instead there is a plastic bolt wrapped in teflon where a nob would normally be.

If I loosen the plastic bolt water flows through the garden hose but also from the bolt... any idea how I drain this thing??

nXdzD6H.jpg

The black bolt (plug) is slotted so I can turn it out but when I do water rushes out of there as well as the drain hose...

if it were me, i would pull the valve/nipple and replace it.

live action , seriously, if you turn the water off to he tank, when you unscrew the nipple, the water will not come out and drown you

when you turn a jug of water upside down, the water "GLUGS" because it does not have a vent.

water tank is the same way.

i am not saying you can pull the nipple and take your sweet time, you had bettter get everything ready, laid out

and be quick about it.

Replace it with what??

You're saying the valve is broken? It's not supposed to leak from there?

Replace it with what??

You're saying the valve is broken? It's not supposed to leak from there?

3/4' Ball valve...

Or, just remove the lines (the house will drain itself at this point if you do not have shutoff valve(s) and electric and hand truck it out the door and drain it outside.

I'm so confused. How is a 3/4" valve going to fit into that small fitting with the plastic bolt?

They are recommending unscrewing the entire drain spigot, then installing a 4 inch long 3/4" nipple, THEN installing a 3/4" ball valve at the end of the nipple. I will add that this is easier said then done since the plastic crap on my electric water heater at my vacation home would not unscrew, and appears it is glued as well. If I would have applied any more torque to that valve, it would have sheered off and I'd be purchasing another new water heater.

Stick a flat head screwdriver in the slot on the black plug and turn 90°. The slot is to show you flow being cut off when across the valve and open when turned in line with valve. You may have to crack a union loose on top to release the vacuum and get water flowing

Stick a flat head screwdriver in the slot on the black plug and turn 90°. The slot is to show you flow being cut off when across the valve and open when turned in line with valve. You may have to crack a union loose on top to release the vacuum and get water flowing

It will not turn clockwise and turning it CCW just makes water rush from that plug as well as the drain.

I am trying to train the tank to remove it and can't think of anything else without making a huge mess.

Back