Can I turn my laundry room into wet room shower?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rose

Reaction score
Hi,

I need a temporary, "ADA" type accessible shower downstairs. I have a small laundry room with a floor drain and hot & cold water taps. The laundry room is a pass-through from the house to the garage. Family will be walking through the "shower room" to access the garage.

My question is, would this drain be adequate—in plumbing standards—to use as a shower drain? The floor is slightly sloped towards the drain.

The house is on a slab. I have a very limited budget, so I'd like to avoid any jackhammering to add another drain. I'm hoping to have a contractor friend install a hand-held type shower. (That's about all I afford him to do)

I plan on waterproofing the walls (somehow) and adding a curtain. I'm currently researching how to block water from going under the doors, if needed.—I've seen rubber barriers you can adhere to the floor.

My main concern is that the drain will work fast enough as a shower drain. I guess I can experiment with a hose and see if it will work.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated!

I think it depends on the size of the drain, whether or not it is vented, and to where it drains.

Back