Can I become a plumber if I hate physics?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolly

Reaction score
Is that possible?Can I become a plumber without thermodynamics?I'm not so good at this chapter and I want to know if I have a chance to use more math than physics.I really don't know how to solve PV-VT-PT diagrams and that might take some time until I fully understand them.What are your advices?Please don't leave my thread unanswered.I appreciate your help.

Plumbing as a trade does not rely much on solving formulas whatsoever. It can be physically demanding, but I know of quite a few women who have been in the trade.
Knowing the plumbing code and having the benefit of a mentor are primary.

How much thermodynamics do you need?Also is chemistry required too?

just basic understanding of water under pressure and how it reacts to temperature changes is good to know but you won't really need to do any math calculations.
Same with chemistry. Maybe the one thing that would be helpful is if you understand what PH levels in water mean. You don't really need to know that, but understanding, it helps you understand things you might deal with in water systems.

Plumbers don't usually design the system they install.
If he is plumbing a new house or building, there are specification already included with the build plans.
Basic math skills are all you really need.
The installation of specific equipment will be included with that equipment.
basic system design and sizing can be found in the code books.
Maybe some basic knowledge of geometry will be helpful if you plan on doing commercial building construction and layout work.
Guess it all depends on what type of plumbing you are thinking about doing.

Last edited:
mr david is right they will ask plumbing formulas and how they are applied on your journeymans/masters exams but you will learn in school so it wont be overwhelming
if your asking ...besides the math/physics which you will learn if its a good trade its great....I look forward to going to work every day

mr david is right they will ask plumbing formulas and how they are applied on your journeymans/masters exams but you will learn in school so it wont be overwhelming
if your asking ...besides the math/physics which you will learn if its a good trade its great....I look forward to going to work every day
I was and still not great at math.....don't worry just start learning

It's doesn't hurt to have an understanding of how fluid and gas dynamics affect the plumbing systems but if and/or when you'd have to use it, beyond the required school exams, there are charts and tables to make things quick and easy.
But as already mentioned, the codes pretty much spell out design criteria based on Fixture units, vent sizes, etc.

I was always told you have to know 4 things to be a plumber . I am sure some one else can elaborate .

Also helpful is the knowledge and ability to dig ditches and bust concrete .

Wyr
God bless

Last edited:
Thermodynamics is the science of how energy flows from one place to another. Very complex subject but only applicable if you are doing plumbing at a chemical processing plant.
For plumbing, Fluid Dynamics is the science that comes into play most often. Having some basic understanding of why there is pressure drop when fluid flows through pipes and fittings is helpful but, as others have said here, there are charts and tables to lookup what you need.
Water chemistry can be an issue but you really only need to know 2 things. pH below 7.0 causes copper to corrode, and pH above 7.0 can result in calcium/magnesium mineral scale.

math was my best subject. In high school and 1 year of college, I could follow the path of trigonometry to calculus and how it's applied to our physical surroundings.
Today MAYBE I could do some simple algebra equations. Trig!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I have trouble remembering the # = Pi.
And I still add things with my fingers.

I am a bit ahead of you I suppose but I don't do math in my head. Pencil and paper are cheap and your phone has a calculator for big numbers.
Really, plumbing and everything else in life is all about the details. Deburring copper before sweating, using water soluble flux, the right type and amount of PVC glue, etc...
Then there are the tricks of the trade that make installation go more quickly. Having the right tools for the job is a big deal as well. Propex expansion fittings are so much better than the crimp but the power expansion tool cost $400.
As far as I am concerned, a good healthy fear of screwing up is all you need. Double check your calculations and your finished work and you will be ok. You will screw up every once in a while and it will be painful but if you take pride in your work, you will learn from those mistakes and not repeat them.

Plumbing as a trade does not rely much on solving formulas whatsoever. It can be physically demanding, but I know of quite a few women who have been in the trade.
Knowing the plumbing code and having the benefit of a mentor are primary.
Not quite as demanding as back in the 50's and 60's, putting up those cast iron waste and vent stacks, pouring and chalking lead joints, and lugging those 300 lbs+ C.I. tubs around.

Back