Building a shower stall from giant Legos!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmartian

Reaction score
I was looking into glass-block shower walls and decided those things are too expensive. So now I am looking into building shower walls from jumbo building blocks, something like this:

blocks.jpg

I have determined for a 48" corner shower I need 225 4" x 8" blocks and 25 4" x 4" blocks. The wall will be 48" on one side and 32" on the other to allow for entry. The corner of the bathroom makes up the other two walls.

Much to my surprise, it appears no one has done this.

My question: is there any reason this is a really bad idea? Other than the walls won't support my weight should I slip and fall in the shower...

And the broken shards of plastic tear into you like a paring knife... :eek:

You need to go back to the drawing board (IMO)...

Man....you ever step on a Lego? Those little bastards would make the hulk cry. Nothing is breaking those!

While the idea would make for a bright and colourful shower, it's defiantly gotta be covered with a sealer. So many places for water infiltration. What did you have in mind for that?

Do It!!
I would suggest setting each layer with a bead of a clear water base mildew resistant caulk as you build it.
Don't use silicone to messy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently thinking to add the equivalent of a shower curtain to the inside as I don't want to permanently set the design. Might change it up now and then. I need to hire someone to do the mud box and then I will likely use large tiles for the floor and two permanent walls. I considered a pre-made surround, but those are silly expensive and tend to look cheap.

I've also determined I need to make the shower 48 x 60 as the old drain is further from one wall than 48 inches. :)

Last edited:
There are certain regulations about what building materials are allowed for showers and other fixtures. You might need to check with the local inspector to find out whether or not that is a code violation.

Have a nice tile shower put in with a fairly flat and sqaure floor. Then stack the legos around it til your tired of looking at them or they grow to much mold, trash them and revel in the fact they weren't permanently installed.

You want to change them around at whim? How are you going to do that and keep water from messing up your floor? Then getting to your floor joists? Dude, if you ever think of selling the house, you have devalued. Look into and Aker by Maax. They are nice showers. Not cheap looking. Oh, cheap looking? Never mind. Legos aren't cheap looking. Sorry just expressing my opinion and concern for your home.

It's on a concrete slab. But the idea is to have plastic covering the inside - think shower curtains with a wall behind them.

Back